The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2007, 01:51 AM

devegus is on a distinguished road
Hello

Hello all! I am new to the forums and I'm glad I found a place that has loads of information regarding my favorite pass time. I started fly fishing this year and I'm enjoying every second of it. There is a lot to master in fly fishing, knots, casting etc. I guess i love the challenge.

I have a 6wt rs3 Redington and a 6wt Okuma Halios reel. I also bought the simms g3 guide vest. I tell you what, that vest is incredible. I wish fly fishing was cheaper You guys know what I'm talking about.

Anyway i was hoping someone could help me out. Today I was fishing my local park pond and I caught a fish I've never seen before. This fish looks like a crappie but it has yellow pelvic fins. (Incredible strong) Does anyone know what kind of fish this is? The fish has a mouth similar to that of a bass.

I used a small yellow popper.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:58 AM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Hello

Would help to know where you are located! Sounds like a tilapia, maybe a yellow perch, a warmouth, peacock bass! So knowing where you were fishing would narrow it down a lot.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi devegus,

Welcome to the forum. Consider the cost as an investment. Most gear will last a lifetime. You are investing in your pleasure and satisfaction for the rest of your life. You have a very nice vest with your G3.

I think we need a little more information to identify your fish. Bluegills have yellow fins and fight like the devil.

Here is a picture of the Simms G3 Guide Vest. It is available in more appropriate colors.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:34 AM

Sorry, I live in Central IL. This fish has a large mouth, with the same color schema as a large mouth bass. I'm certain this is not a blue gill. I'm taking my camera again in case i catch another one. Oh darn i guess i'll have to go back out again and do more fishing.

Frank, that is exactly the same color as mine.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:49 PM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

I'm gonna say I think it is a warmouth.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Welcome to the group!

Without seeing it, it sounds like you may have caught a green sunfish, or maybe a spotted bass. There is a critter called a yellow bass, but they look more like a white/striped/hybrid bass than a largemouth.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:20 PM

Cliff, is the Warmouth and Green Sunfish the same thing? I think I was told it was.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:19 PM

awmiller is on a distinguished road

piranha perhaps?! I'm betting it's a green sunfish.

That's one I caught at a river near my work site....
Old 07-16-2007, 03:37 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Here's a link from TPWD on the warmouth. We called 'em goggle-eyes back home in SE TX and they sure put up a good fight. I remember years ago getting into a school of them with my Dad and most were about a pound or so.

Warmouth (Lepomis gulosus)
Old 07-16-2007, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awmiller View Post
piranha perhaps?! I'm betting it's a green sunfish.

That's one I caught at a river near my work site....

Hi Awmiller, yes that is the fish i caught. Thanks for posting a picture and thanks to everyone for your help