The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 AM

tcleckler is on a distinguished road
Default Newbee

Hello everyone, I'm new to fly fishing and tying, just really started this year. Really learning a lot from just reading here. Just wanted to get some feed back on the Creek Company. I've just got a new ODC XR10 and got it on the water last weekend. This boat seems to be well built but I don't have anything to compare it too. I've not seen any here in Alabama yet. Lots of kayaks and canoes but not toons. Do any of you have one of these or one from this company? I plan on keeping the toons on the frame and building some sort of stand to keep it off the ground and it'll be under a cover to keep rain and sun off of it. Do you see a problem in storing it this way. I'll be using it at least every other weekend or so year round.
I also have a trolling motor that I'm going to put on it and I've had to register it. What is the best way to put the numbers and sticker on it so it'll last. Thought about painting on the letters and numbers but still have to put the yearly sticker on.
Looking forward to having a lot of discussions with you guys.

Thanks,
Troy Cleckler
Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbee

Troy: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! I can't help with the Creek ODC XR10, but from looking at their web site it looks like a good boat and if you bought it through Cabelas you should feel comfortable if something breaks. I have an NFO Rampage that I bought last year and absolutely love that boat. I have a trolling motor for it but haven't registered it yet so I can't give advice on how to place stickers on it. Let me know if you get some good advice on that. Best of luck fishing!

Old 12-21-2011, 12:19 PM

vitesse304 has a spectacular aura aboutvitesse304 has a spectacular aura about

I have an ODC 1640 (the 3 person toon).

Love it. My buddy has the 2 person version and we float the Colorado, the Blue, the Fork, and the Eagle. Plus a few stillwater trips.

They do great. Super lightweight and easy to move around. Obviously the 2 person is a little more manuverable than my 3 person but both are way easier to use than a raft or drift boat. And much lighter. You don't have to fight it like the raft guys do, especially on technical take outs and put ins.

I store my pontoons inside, and the frame sits on the trailer that I transport it with. The frame is aluminum and powder coated so rust shouldn't be much of an issue. Ideally, I would break it all down and store it inside, but I'm too lazy. Just be sure you don't lose any straps and pins when you break it down for storage.

Enjoy your boat, it'll open up much more fishing opportunities for you!

As for the trolling motor, most guys out here put the sticker and number on the pontoon or they build a bracket off the frame and put the sticker there.

I don't have mine registered since I don't have a trolling motor.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Troy welcome to the forum-- based on the comments so far it sounds like you have a great boat. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with it.

Mark
Old 12-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Troy...looking forward to seeing your pics an reports