The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2011, 07:38 PM

jmann28 is on a distinguished road
Smile New guy from Michigan. Help me get started!?

Hey guys, I'm fairly new to the sport and would love some help to get me started in the right direction. I have a fly rod I got from bass pro a couple years ago and learned how to cast from my uncle. I'd say I'm below average in my casting skills as I've really only messed around on the lagoon catching pan fish. I want to get started fly fishing for trout and salmon, but have no clue where too begin. Ive heard of good spots I'm northern Michigan, but that's as much as I know. Can somebody point me in the right direction as far as gear, and some rivers/areas to look at? I'm an avid bow hunter and know how it goes with not wanting to give up your honey holes, but any help at all would really be awesome. I'd like to get my younger brother who is 10 started with me because he really wants to start it fly fishing as well. One last thing, and this is probably the dumbest question ever asked on this website, but is there seasons for trout and salmon? Forgive the stupidness!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough
Default Re: New guy from Michigan. Help me get started!?

The info you are looking for regarding seasons can be found here:

DNR - 2011 Michigan Fishing Guide
Old 12-23-2011, 09:00 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Hi jmann, welcome to the forum! There's plenty of help here for you from experts at flyfishing that I'm sure will be posting soon. Redington has a youth outfit for your brother's age group that might make it easier for him to get started with you. You can see it here: Minnow Kid's Fly Fishing Outfit, Fly Rods & Reels for Youth | Redington
Old 12-23-2011, 09:12 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

jmann, if you live in the southeast part of Michigan you might want to hook up with the Michigan Fly Fishing Club. MFFC Home Page
You can pick the brains of some mighty fine fly fishers though the club and attend the excellant beginners school they hold in the spring.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

jmann28: Welcome to the forum! There aren't any stupid questions, so ask away, we all started from zero so we all understand where you are coming from. I can't help with fishing insight in your area but jackster gave you good advice about seeking out a local fly fishing club or you might look to see if there is a Trout Unlimited Chapter in your area. Don't forget to look on YouTube, there are hundreds of instructional videos there.

Larry

Old 12-24-2011, 04:58 PM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all

Welcome, where County are you in?

Last edited by rockriver; 12-26-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:47 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I can't tell you about Michigan, but I can tell you, don't go overboard on gear, rod, reel, backing, line, leaders, tippets, waders, boots, nippers, split shot, forceps (hemostats), some local nymphs or wet flies (check with those fishing club guys in your area as mentioned above), and a net. Dry flies and floatant will be needed if you fish for risers. But mostly you will figure out what else you need as you go. I have tons of stuff that sits in a gear bag and the list above is pretty much what I take with me when I hit the river for a few hours, I usually use a lanyard, but a vest or chestpack works to hold your gear as well. Best of luck on the water and keep us informed on your progress.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:38 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I fish after work/school, so I like to keep my necessities in a vest.
Put the vest on and grab the rod and I'm ready to go.

Practice stalking fish; approach matters. Especially when you are still practicing casting and can't cast that far. Hide behind rocks and trees and only get in the water if you must. Moving slowly like a stork seems to work.

If you tie your own flies you will save a lot of money on lost flies, although you will invest $$$ in materials.

6x and 7x tippet will probably lead to a waste of time and flies. Even in gin clear water, 5x seems to work fine most of the time. I still use 6x when the water is still and clear, but 7x requires some finesse and breaks super easy.

streamers are fun when trying to dead drift is not working so well, and big fish like to eat streamers.

You'll most likely catch your first big fish when you left the camera in the car!
Old 12-26-2011, 10:00 AM

jmann28 is on a distinguished road

I'm in Oakland County. What size rod would you guys recommend? What kind of flies? What is one thing you never leave behind when heading out to fish?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:36 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Like ttblom, I never leave for fishing without my vest; it has everything I'll need in it and as long as I don't forget my rod and waders I'm all set. For trout, a 9' 5wt rod is common and for salmon a 9' 8wt. You could compromise with a 9' 7 or 8wt to use for both. I'd start with what you have or an inexpensive quality combo (see link) and upgrade later; you will then have your starter outfit as a backup.

-John

REDINGTON CROSSWATER 890 FLY ROD OUTFIT from ReelFlyRod.com

Last edited by wannafish; 12-26-2011 at 10:37 AM. Reason: spelling