The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2011, 07:58 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fly tying kit

I'm just curious as to everyones thoughts about this fly tying kit. I'm just getting into it and don't know if its better to buy piece by piece or a kit to start with.

Fly Tying Tool Kit for Beginners / Orvis Fly Tying Kit -- Orvis
Old 12-24-2011, 08:20 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Fly tying kit

i bought the bass pro shops bass kit and that started me off well so i would recomend that because it includes everything plus the materials and dvd for the flies
Old 12-24-2011, 08:25 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

If you live anywhere near an Orvis store, they routinely have that kit on-sale, and if you sign-up for their free one-day tying class, they give you a $50 certificate towards the purchase of that kit.

On-line, they've had the kit on-sale several times over the last few months, so I wouldn't pay the listed price. Wait for he next sale, if that's the kit that you really want.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-24-2011, 08:36 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold

That kit looks good. I bought the Clearwater kit from Orvis and no longer use any of it. Not that it was bad gear, I just wanted a better vice, tools, and materials. If I had to do it over again I'd start from scratch. A good initial investment is Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying book. SF
Old 12-24-2011, 09:41 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It costs more from the start, but buy everything a la carte. You will have tools that you won't have to replace. The materials will be of better quality. You can take fly tying lessons from local shops or from fly fishing clubs (a great perk from membership).

Dennis
Old 12-24-2011, 10:41 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by innes View Post
A good initial investment is Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying book. SF
Outstanding book! I'm reading Chapter 6 tonight. Now I've gotta try tying a Brassie!

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
It costs more from the start, but buy everything a la carte. You will have tools that you won't have to replace. The materials will be of better quality. You can take fly tying lessons from local shops or from fly fishing clubs (a great perk from membership).

Dennis
I checked into the class offered by the local Trout Unlimited chapter, and found that many of the instructors all work p/t for the same local sporting goods shop, which has a big (and well stocked) fly-fishing department. By shopping there, they were able to guide me to the individual tools and supplies, and explain the differences between some of the brand names. I may have paid a few bucks more by buying individual tools, but by doing so I was able to get instructor recommended quality tools, and I was able to support a local business.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-25-2011, 07:49 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I didn't buy a kit but did a little research before I started buying things.Got an Apex Anvil vise and bought a Dr. Slick tool kit that had everything I needed. Some of the tools can be bought cheaper but I would get a good bobbin and scissors for sure. I doubt I'll upgrade with what I purchased initially. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:47 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

A la Carte is the way to go. Usually the materials in kits is a lot of stuff you may not use, for example if you are going to be tying big bass flies. I bought a kit a while back as i was getting into fly tying again after a 10 year absence. I'd say 95% of the stuff in there i've never used. The other 5% I did use included the vise, tools, hooks hare's ear dubbing and pheasant tail, and i've since replaced all this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 12-25-2011, 08:56 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have stuff in my "kit" that I haven't used yet in 3 years of tying, but, everything in the kit still works. My vice is not rotary, and that slows down tying, but is not an unsurmountable issue, I have upgraded to a ceramic bobbin and a decent pair of scissors, and just this year I bought a different vice. But if you want to tie and want to get the tools inexpensively, then, you can go the kit route. I was given a cabelas deluxe kit 3 years ago, and like I said, I still use it today.

I am not discounting that you can get better quality buying individual and a piece at a time, I am not saying a beginner kit is better than buying individual, I am just saying that you can get started, inexpensively, with a kit, and I have been able to tie 3 years so far on mine - Kits are made for those that want to try it and not break the bank.

Orvis, Cabelas, Sheels, many big box stores put kits together and if you watch the sales you can get in cheap. The cabelas deluxe was on sale for $30 bucks a week or so ago, the standard kit is on sale for $20 now. I just noticed there is also a sale on 'soft grip" tools (no vice) and on thier gunnison beginner kit (with materials). Now is the time of year to look for the sales, if you are a bargain hunter, and are willing to use a "kit" for $20 or $30 bucks and are not wanting to lay out a couple hundred for tying tools.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:00 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

I'd say it depends on the availability of tools and materials in your area.
I live far from any "fly shop" and have no opportunity to try any equipment out before I buy. All my instruction and advice comes from what information I gather online.
I have bought several rods, reels, lines, and much tying materials and tools based solely on looks and recommendations by others.
Some have worked out, but many have not.

I would have done as well to purchase a kit initially. I didn't, I bought all of it a piece at a time, and I have since replaced most of it.