The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's this Fish???

Was on the Neshaminy Creek this afternoon, and saw silver flashes. This was the tidal section that connects to the Delaware River, and all kinds of crazy stuff comes upstream. The tide was going out, and this all took place in a 75 yard pool of fairly deep crystal clear water. When I saw the flashes, I also noticed a pod of dozens of 18-24" dark fish. They were near the bottom of the 5-6 foot deep pool, and were probably larger. I've seen pods of suckers in the Neshaminy before, but I was in stealth mode, and didn't want to get to close. I used a Clouser minnow (bead chain eyes), and the mystery fish really nailed it hard. They weren't shy at all, and charged after the Clouser as soon as it hit the water.

Click the image to open in full size.

I caught about a dozen, and then decided it was time to split.

P.S. You can see I tie my Clousers SPARSE. Bob said that if he tied his production Clousers as sparse as the ones for his personal use, he'd never
be able to sell them.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:30 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's this Fish???

I thought your fly was a whisker like a catfish. Maybe a herring?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:33 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Joni,
Shad and herring do come up the Delaware, what comes up the Delaware comes up the last 4 miles of the Neshaminy. Those little buggers fought like
brutes, and I should have used my 4wt (used a 5wt because of excessive wind). They had a very fishy odor, so herring could be correct....
Old 07-01-2010, 06:40 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

It looks quite a bit like what I remember of white perch. But as I recall, they stick up their dorsal fin rigid and spike you with them like sunfish. You probably wouldn't be holding it like that if it was a white perch.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-01-2010, 06:50 PM

Hi Jim, No spikes at all.....
Here's another one, and the tail as a black tip:

These guys were flashing like signal mirrors! I saw them from quite a way
downstream.

Caught a couple of these as well, but that's par for the course on that stream. The colors were much more vivid than my cell phone shows:
Old 07-01-2010, 07:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a white perch to me. Were the two dorsal fins connected?
The sunfish is a 'pumpkinseed'..I caught a monster earlier in the year, close to a pound and nearly the state record
Old 07-01-2010, 08:05 PM

Hi Rip,
I don't recall anything about the dorsal fin(s). There were so many flashing, and I wanted to get a pic, and cast again. I just never noticed a fish flash like that on this stream before, but the Sun was bright, and the water so clear. If I had my underwater camera and a boom, I could have taken video of the pod of larger fish. I'm going to assume sucker, as they moved like suckers. They were awfully large, however.

That section of the Neshaminy is loaded with pumpkinseed (the tidal section). I don't see too many above the tidal section, where the dominant little fish is rock bass. I've never seen a rock bass in the tidal section..... It is 47 miles of pretty sweet fishing!

P.S. No indicator used or needed on that Green Weenie. The fish in the tidal section hit harder than anywhere else around here.

Here's a pic of that section during winter:
The pool I fished is a few yard above the rocks on the left. When the tide goes out, that stream can drop to inches in many spots, but that pool remains deep.
The bank on the opposite side remains a couple feet deep as well during low tide, and the middle can be as little as ankle deep. Works out for me: stand in the
middle and cast to the edges.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Can't see the back fin, but I am thinking white perch as well now:

http://www.unb.ca/cri/projects/Fish_...ePerch_web.jpg
Old 07-01-2010, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the link, Joni. Here's one I found for Pennsylvania White Perch and White Bass: CLICK HERE The
white perch mouth looks more like the mouth in my photo's, but they were awfully silvery. Funny when you catch something, and have a tough time saying exactly what it is. While I focus on catching few species, I need to look into the other species that inhabit the waters I fish. Same with trees: I'm usually clueless, and refer to them as "Tall", "Green", etc.....
Old 07-02-2010, 05:02 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Joni, Rip and wjc; it looks a lot like a white perch.

I used to catch them by the "ton" when I was a kid; bait casting with worms from a row boat. But, the only place that I was ever finding them was in stillwaters; ponds, lakes, etc.; the same water bodies that are filled with yellow perch and bluegills. They were in some of the feeder rivers, but not far from the stillwaters.