The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 06:52 PM

rod727 is on a distinguished road
Default another new guy..

Hi guys I am brand new here. After many years of thinking about it I am taking the first step to learning to fly fish at the ripe old age of 47. My kids are older and I finally have an opportunity to learn about fly fishing. My oldest daughter is in Montana (Great falls) for at least 4 years and I am anxious to explore that part of the country and some fishing haunts. I would greatly appreciate any advice. My daughter in Montana sent me a copy of the Orvis fly fishing guide for Christmas and that is my first task.I live in The Dayton Ohio area and look forward to participating here on the forum. I am reading posts and I am really interested in the "first steps" I should take.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:18 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: another new guy..

Welcome to the forum Rod727

There will be others more experienced coming on line to answer your questions. Some info that will help.

What is your budget for a rod and reel?
You will be spending more time fishing in Ohio than Montana so tailor your gear for the local species and it should be adequate for Montana until you are ready to buy a second rod.
Ask specific question if you expect specific answers.

Lots of great folks here and new members are always welcome.

Dave
Old 12-25-2011, 07:19 PM

darwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the roughdarwin is a jewel in the rough

Hello Rod727 & welcome

If your brand new to all of this you have come to a good place to start, lots of good reading and friendly folk to help. If I where you I would also try and find a local fly fishing / fly tying club, good way to learn and meet local people. Also find a good local fly shop for sales & service.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:27 PM

rod727 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Welcome to the forum Rod727

There will be others more experienced coming on line to answer your questions. Some info that will help.

What is your budget for a rod and reel?
You will be spending more time fishing in Ohio than Montana so tailor your gear for the local species and it should be adequate for Montana until you are ready to buy a second rod.
Ask specific question if you expect specific answers.

Lots of great folks here and new members are always welcome.

Dave
Hi and thank you for the welcome. I would like to try to get a rod & reel in the $150 range if at all possible. I am hoping I can get started in the $350 to $400 range...is that possible?
Old 12-25-2011, 07:32 PM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice

In the Dayton area you should visit the ReelFlyRod shop. ReelFlyRod.com, Your Local Fly Shop to the World! Fly Fishing Gear for Everyone.

I've never been there in person (I live a few hours drive to the southeast), but I plan to visit someday. I've bought several rods from Todd, and he offers the best of service and good prices along with good advice. I've kept him tied up on the phone plenty of times asking questions.
They are also sponsors of this forum.
Old 12-25-2011, 07:59 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

welcome to the addiction,, or what youll soon be. This crowd has been a great help in getting me going and successful as a noob as of this past spring. I was looking into the basspro Temple fork outfitter combos before I came into a use rod and reel set. Up till thanksgiving or so I had maybe 200 in all my gear I used during the summer, once I picked up waders and gear to go along it jump to twice that. but it can can done on the cheaper side with good results in good weather and warm water, cold water not so easy.

welcome again, good luck. and getting ready to put the old spinner gear in the attic because youll get hooked on the fly.
Mike
Old 12-26-2011, 06:38 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome rod727!

I think you're going to enjoy fly fishing - a lot!

If you're interested in a true starter outfit that won't cost you a lot, then look at LLBeans' Angler outfit; graphite rod, usable reel, line and leader; all for about $80.00. Also take a look at Hodgeman waders, Chota boots and maybe a Bean's vest and you're almost there; just add tippet, flies and misc. essentials.

Angler Outfits: Fishing Gear | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

Fishing Waders | Stockingfoot Wader | Breathable Wader | Hodgman - Waders Since 1838

- Fly Fishing Gear and Accessories

You may make your budget. But, if you like the sport; and I think you will, then you'll be upgrading shortly, very shortly.

Pocono
Old 12-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

rod 727never too late to start flyfishing....the big problem is to stop
Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Welcome to the obsession.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:13 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

First step is go fly fishing, just do it