The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 11:07 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Has anyone had a line made by Steve Godshall?

Bouncing around the net I have discovered that Steve Godshall makes custom lines. In talking with him he seems like a very interesting, helpful and obsessive fly caster and fisherman. Just wondering if anyone has used one of his lines and what they think.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:12 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Has anyone had a line made by Steve Godshall?

I have not, however his reputation is stellar among pnw spey guys.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:31 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

The guy is an encyclopedia when it comes to spey rods and can build or match a line to any of them! He built my 490grn Scandi head and walked me through building my own shooting head for another project rod. If you plan on lining a spey or switch I would definitely give him a call, not only will you end up with a line tailor made to the rod but to best suit your style of casting, the flies and the types of water you'll be using it on.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:27 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Has anyone had a line made by Steve Godshall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I have not, however his reputation is stellar among pnw spey guys.
Trust me Mike, "stellar" doesn't cover it. (Just Kidding!) But "Bash" does with his post above. To expand a bit ....

Each of Steve's lines (and I have several) are all 'One Offs' based on not only the actual rod it will be used on, but the casters 'style' of casting (2-handers). Steve has just about every 2-hander made 'dialed in' for what it really is, Manufacturer puts a #7 sticker on the blank but he's got it 'dialed in' as a 6.8 or a 7.4 or a xyz.

Then the tel-con is for what/how/were/casting style are we talking about? As I said, his lines (won't cost you a penny more that something off the shelf) are built to fit that set of perimeters. Line head will be (Scandi as an example) 31' 4" long, weigh 'x' grains, etc., and etc.

He will do these as either as just a head, or as a full line. Better yet, and my last three full lines, have a shot of bright orange just below the head. Pull that bit in until it's just above the cork and you're exactly on point of where you need to be to cast the head. Low light conditions? Who cares? Don't want to spend all that time looking up a 14' rod to see where the tip-top/head are aligned? No need.

Strip in to the cork and you're good to go. Works a total treat!

For full disclosure, no connection to Steve other than I, and my wallet, know him well.

Fred

Edit: 541 840 2594

Last edited by fredaevans; 12-26-2011 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Geeze Fred ... You, your, you're .... bloody hell proof read!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:11 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I know little about spey casting, but Steve is working with me in trying to come up with a system to eliminate the need for "chuck and duck" as well as any need to use an indicator with a one-handed rod.
He is a very enthusiastic supporter of my off-the-wall ideas!
Old 12-26-2011, 09:26 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I have 2 of his lines match to a T what I was wanting will not buy a line from anyone else.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Steve was in on the design of the switch rod blank I built my rod with; so contacted him and ended up with a line that flat out performs with my rod. Had a long conversation about what I wanted to do with the rod, and got my new line very quickly and for quite a bit less then I would have through a shop.
I wouldn't hesitate a bit in buying another one of Steve's lines...

Dan
Old 12-27-2011, 10:02 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFlinger2421 View Post
I know little about spey casting, but Steve is working with me in trying to come up with a system to eliminate the need for "chuck and duck" as well as any need to use an indicator with a one-handed rod.
He is a very enthusiastic supporter of my off-the-wall ideas!
Interesting, first I've heard that Steve was building single hander lines. Keep us posted on how that turns out.
Fred
Old 12-27-2011, 11:51 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Scandi shooting head that was designed for my Gary Anderson Spey rod. It's awesome!
Old 12-27-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Interesting, first I've heard that Steve was building single hander lines. Keep us posted on how that turns out.
Fred
Steve is not actually building a line. I picked up an idea from Hardyreels involving essentially the use of very heavy sink tip sections of different lengths in place of split shot and weighted flies. This will require the use of a fairly lightweight floating running line of large diameter for mending which is where Steve comes in. My thinking is that this should eliminate the "bolo" or "pendulum" problem when using split shot and weighted flies. It should also eliminate the possibility of breaking a tip from split shot impact and hopefully, with the right length of mono leader between the line and the section of sink tip, eliminate the need for an indicator.