The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 09:20 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default The most interesting rod in the world

Winter is here. I'm not done fishing, but my windows of opportunity are considerably smaller so I keep busy tying, maintaining reels and cleaning up rods. This weekend my son was over helping me clean and hang my rods and he asked me, "dad, why do you still fish this old rod? You have new ones that haven't even been wet yet". He didn't know what he was holding and I'm not sure I could explain it. This brings me to the title of my post. It's the oldest, heaviest, most beat up 10wt I own but in the circle of fishermen I've learned from it's the stuff of legends. When the wind is howling this rod is in my hands, I swear it could punch a fly through a brick wall. The rod always seems to catch fish and cast well. It starts catching fish for me before I even have my waders on. When other rods see it on the beach they break themselves. It once jumpstarted my truck on a cold rainy day.
Obviously I'm having some fun with this but my Thomas and Thomas HS910s is a rod I could never part with. It's my worlds most interesting rod. What's yours?

Last edited by swirlchaser; 12-28-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:28 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: The most interesting rod in the world

Mine is the Sage RPL 9'0 6 wt. 2 piece rod which I made 20 years ago, a medium-fast action. My go-to trout rod .

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Sweet rod! Come on guys, everyone has a rod that makes them feel like they're bonefishing with Flip Pallot.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is my 15' 8/9 wt. Meiser. I want it buried with me when I go. If I can't take it with me, I'm not going.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:16 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Most of my rods are pretty run o' the mill stuff...nice rods, but mundane. BUT...my 2 wt...Orvis "one ounce" superfine. It's a full flex 6'6" wand that magically makes a 12" bow or brown into a throbbing monster...love it...

I'll try to post a pic with the little Marryat reel on it tomorrow...-Mike
Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

wow, gotta think on this one.
rod 1-albright gp 7'6" 4 weight
rod 2--sage fli 590-4
different animals, but my two favs

this being said, i have an allen xa sitting in the corner. so i'll update my response later

casey

ARFE
Old 12-28-2011, 01:47 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Every rod I've owned over the years has had it's own place in my halls of fame but one in particular is my old jankey Kunan Competitor 8'6" 6/7. Its caught everything from bluegills and perch to small stripers and weakfish. It is a sloppy rod at best, slow unressponsive, totally inaccurate but just a blast to catch fish on. It reminds me of an old displacement hulled sailboat slow and labored but if you learn to sail her, she'll never let you down. So while she doesn't always drink beer but when she does its Dos Equis. Stay thirsty my friends.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:40 AM

thenextlevel is on a distinguished road

Mine is my 8'6" Orvis Superfine 3wt. Also known as the "trico". It's a full flex magical little rod. I have had it for probably 15 years. My father bought it for me as a Christmas present and I learned to fly fish with it. I have caught everything from little brookies on it to 25" browns and smallmouth bass. I only fish it now on special occasions.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM

beagle is on a distinguished road

My favorite rod is an Orvis 9'6" 6 wgt Rainbow Plus!

One of my last official acts this Oct was to break the tip,I hope Orvis can match it. It's a little stiff but it sure does throw a 160gr Teeny or a sink-tip with ease.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My Lamiglas 4wt has been ago-to rod since 1972