The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 01:36 PM

caberguy will become famous soon enoughcaberguy will become famous soon enough
Default What I learned my first few days back on the water

I got out a few times this week for the first time in nearly a decade... here are a few things I learned:

It's very different casting streamers and nymphing in murky water than tossing dries to little brookies in crystal clear water.

Wearing waders feels funky when you're not used to it.

Old sneakers are a poor substitute for wading boots.

Casting in the wind is a pain, especially when you've got poor form.

There's a reason it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Tying knots in the cold is tough, especially when you're not used to it.

Cold water is cold.

I'm surprisingly afraid of stepping on junk (i.e. glass, metal shards, etc.) in urban adjacent water. Also I don't remember when my last tetanus shot was.

Woolie buggers like rocks and logs.

Casting will make you sore (or maybe I'm just getting old).

If there's something capable of snagging my line I'll find it.

Standing on your line is not an effective strategy.

I'm making roll casting more difficult than it needs to be.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What I learned my first few days back on the water

When I fish with my oldest fishing partner, at the end of the day it's not "How many fish did you catch ?", it's "What did you learn today ?".
And we've fished together since 1969
Old 12-28-2011, 02:18 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What I learned my first few days back on the water

Great post! I learned a long time ago, that learning something, even when I don't catch anything, will eventually make me a better angler. Not all will realize that!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by caberguy View Post
If there's something capable of snagging my line I'll find it.
I worked as a carpenter for 25 years and we always hated the way extension cords would snag on everything when moving around. We used to say "I don't need a parachute to jump out of a plane, just an extension cord. It's bound to snag on something on the way down."
Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

LOL! Try crawling up a flight or two of stairs, down a hallway with heavy smoke and heat, no visibility or familiarity with the building, with 60+/- pounds of equipment strapped to you, a tool in one hand, and helping drag a hoseline with the other... I swear, it seems like you get snagged on every paint spec or mouse turd on the floor!!!

It's days like that that make me look FORWARD to snagging a fishing line or two!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 12-28-2011, 09:38 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

An early snow storm in Boulder left tons of branches in the creek.
Lately I lose many more flies than fish caught... but at least I am no longer buying flies, just making my own for a fraction of the cost.