The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2007, 11:01 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road
Default New to the Forum and the Sport

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and am really interested in getting involved in Fly Fishing. I have fished worm and minnow style on and off for some time, but I get bored sitting waiting for a fish to find my worm. I find myself casting and recasting impatiently, instead of sitting and waiting. I have always been intrigued by the fly fisherman. I see them wading the streams and rivers when I'm out there and it looks like much more of a challenge than tossing a worm out there and waiting. I'm planning on getting some gear from a local shop near my house.
I have a budget of about $300 for rod, reel, line and some fly's to get started. I was pointed in the direction of the St Croix Reign line of rods and I cant remember the name of the reel. I like trout fishing, but I prefer Smallmount Bass fishing the Susquehanna River (Notheast PA). I remember something the gentleman told me about 9 foot 7 weight rod, but that means little to me as I am totally "green" to the sport.
Does anyone have any suggestions / tips in what I should be looking for as far as gear, reading material?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: New to the Forum and the Sport

Welcome to the group! I could never get excited about "bait and wait" fishing myself, unless beer and buds were there to enjoy. In your area, a 7wt would work well as a smallmouth rod. A 6wt could work for both bass and trout, but a lighter rod is more adept at trout fishing.

fly fishing - fly fishing gear can get you set with a rig to start with. I would go with a TFO or ECHO rod, paired with a Cortland Endurance reel, but there's lots of other options that would serve your needs well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:29 AM

I took the jump last night. I ordered a St Croix Reign 9' 6 Wt. 2 piece rod, Cortland Endurance reel, 333 Pro line, leader, and tippett. He also includes $20 in flies and three 1/2 hour casting lessons for buying the package. I paid $280 for the whole deal. Now the fun of learning.....
Old 07-20-2007, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Assuming he's a good instructor, the casting lessons are worth about half what you paid.

I was hoping you'd buy through my buddy Steve at the Full Creel, but it sounds like your local guy is really wanting to take care of you and get you off to a good start. Thanks for supporting his efforts to do so.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:57 PM

I hope he's a good instructor as well. The biggest reason I went local is because of the instruction. I asked about what lures to use during what time of season and where to use em and he said that he's always willing to share what works for him. He seemed more interested in talking with someone that was interested in the sport than he was selling the package. Either that's a real good sales technique, or he's truly passionate about what he does. I tend to think its the latter. Forums are great for general insight, but I think information regarding specific geographic locations and more so, specific bodies of water, is priceless. I don't personally know anyone that is into fly fishing, so I the help of anyone in my area is key for me, being an absolute beginner. I will keep your friend in mind for futire needs that I don't find locally. Thanks for the info ... really appreciated.