The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 12:15 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fishing Vehicle

Well, right now it is my daily driver and rv puller....

Click the image to open in full size.

I am hoping that by sometime this year that single man pontoon will be replaced in the back of my truck with a Scadden Outlaw Avenger XX. I figured i would just get a Thule rack system for the bed of my truck to carry it on.

I would like to have a small 4x4 suv for running around the coast range in winter to chase steelhead or quick runs over to the Deschutes. Something like an older Bronco or FJ Cruiser. Something small for turning around on tight logging roads. However, that is a pipe dream that wont happen for a long time. Until then i keep buying diesel
Old 01-01-2012, 12:33 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlaser View Post
Mine is a 2004 ford explorer with oh i think about 60,000 miles on it. (don't look at me in that tone of voice i live in the city)
Good Candidate for "Post of the Day." Keep that oil changed and you'll be handing the keys down to your Great Grand Child.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Vans,
Your making me miss my F-350 I sold last spring. Loved the truck, just not the gas mileage.

Where is that pic from?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-01-2012, 01:41 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I can't afford a dedicated fishing rig, but Dave, yours sounds great. Are you doing a complete restoration? Post some photos, I'd be interested in following along. I took apart, cleaned and fixed up a '74 MGB when I was 20. I wouldn't call it a restoration, but it was fun.

I used to have Dodge cargo-Caravan..the mini van with nothing in the back. It was sweet little work rig when I was painting but also a great camper. Throw a bunch of stuff in there and my dog and go fish for a couple few days. Very roomy. But when I had my daughter (my wife actually did the hard part) I sold it as it was essentially a one person vehicle at that point. I'm still bummed to not have it.

Now my primary vehicle is an '83 Toyota Tercel. 30mpg, good clearance and in 4wd the thing is mountain goat. I love it. If and when I get a truck I will keep the Tercel. It really is a great fishing rig.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:19 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Vans,
Your making me miss my F-350 I sold last spring. Loved the truck, just not the gas mileage.

Where is that pic from?

I love the truck, best one ive owned. As you said though, the mileage is horrible. In fact, the tool box you see in the bed of my truck behind the cab is actually a transfer tank the holds 55 gallons of diesel. Filling that and the truck hurts a bit. lol.

The pic was taken last summer down near Frenchglen, OR. which is about 50 miles se of Burns. The "park" we are in is actually about 2 miles outside Frenchglen and is just across the Donner Und Blitzen river from a BLM campground(Page Springs) on that same river. We went down there so i could fish that river and visit the area. I have wanted to fish that river for years. Beautiful area and river. I caught about 11 fish over two days. Nothing too big though. I needed to spend some time hiking further up river to get to the bigger fish.

We plan on going back in the next couple years. We really get a lot of use out of our rv. Over last Spring to this Fall we were out 64 days. I get to fish a lot of different areas that way. Sure, it isnt roughing it much but as long as the wife is comfortable and able to plug in her hair dyer, it doesnt matter much where we go. Now, i just need to save up for a Honda generator...
Old 01-01-2012, 05:54 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

pic didn't open...aaagh

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

The frame has been sandblasted, coated with zinc primer and painted black
Old 01-01-2012, 05:55 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

86 Cherokee 2dr, get about 20 highway. It might not be the absolute best on gas and lacks the power for some of our short on ramps but the little 4banger does what I need it too. The 4wd is killer and with only 69,000+ miles I can't go wrong.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:10 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Sweet project Dave! Frame up restoration, quite the undertaking. Are you doing the mechanical work, too? That is one helluva shop, man! What do yo do in there, it's so empty. My wife would have that thing half filled in no time.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:15 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Sweet project Dave! Frame up restoration, quite the undertaking. Are you doing the mechanical work, too? That is one helluva shop, man! What do yo do in there, it's so empty. My wife would have that thing half filled in no time.
Doing all the work myself, and as to what I do in there? I HIDE

WT Bash...That is a sweet ride

Dave
Old 01-01-2012, 06:22 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

She goes well enough but Ohio winters kill the unibody. You can't see the body rot in the pic but its there something fierce! Eventually I'd like to find an old CJ frame and body to drop the engine in. My neighbor has one that he drives once in a while in the summer, I know he keeps it just to shine me on!