The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree173Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 11:25 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fishing Vehicle

Some authors describe their fishing vehicles with reverence and its stains, dent and trappings as trophies of cherished memories. Currently my fish finder sits in the barn stripped down to the frame and under going a complete reconstruction. It's a 92 Jeep YJ Wrangler and when my hands touch the steering wheel, the mind is flooded with memories.

Blackberries so thick and covered with chiggers we drive thru the patches and pick from the windows. Water running over the hood and me white knuckled, fording a creek to find better fishing water. Those memories and many more always bring a smile when working on it, hopefully next winter it will be purring like a kitten again, with a V8 engine, new transmission and best of all heated seats.

What about the rest of you? Is there a special vehicle designated as the official fish finder?

Dave
Old 12-31-2011, 01:26 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Fishing Vehicle

Ahhhhh yes. Have a '02 Jeep Liberty now that replaced a 1986 Ford Explorer 4x4 in '04 or '05. Totally 'faithful' ride, just do the required maintenance and that was that. Only 'mechanical design' issue was the brake system; far too light duty.

Only reason I traded the thing in was my then wife thought that driving around in a 20'ish year old car was beneath my (her?) financial status. For context, she was driving a Lexus.

fae
Old 12-31-2011, 02:03 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fishing Vehicle

Not exactly what you might expect in a fishing vehicle, my little Toyota Echo with 300 000 kms gets me to the Miramichi and back for about 8 bucks. Sometimes making three trips a week I'm hoping it holds together for another 100 000
rbinney likes this.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:16 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

Mine's a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 193,000 miles and still going strong!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Dave,

Ever since I used a Schwinn 10 speed (age 14 - 15) every thing I have ever owned has been a fishing vehicle. My longest trips mileage and time wise were made with motorcycles. Those are the most vivid memories of many thousands of miles, many camps, and all the people I met while on the roads and dusty trails.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-31-2011, 08:03 PM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

I've never lived within an hour of good trout water, so my cherished trout vehicle is my '99 Saturn SC1 coupe. Getting 40 mpg trumps everything else when you live an hour and a half away from your favorite stream.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:33 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Mine is a 2004 ford explorer with oh i think about 60,000 miles on it. (don't look at me in that tone of voice i live in the city)
Old 12-31-2011, 10:37 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to have an old Jeep CJ that's rebuilt to whatever specs I wish. I'll figure that out someday.

My current fly fishing vehicle is a 2005 Subaru Outback. It has about 95K miles. My previous 1995 Outback had a bit over 200K miles. I could had done some more upkeep, but I decided that I wanted something new.

Dennis
Old 12-31-2011, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Toyota pick ups have served me well over the years since about 1990, had 3 of em. Mrs fysh and I have traveled in a Toyota 4-Runner since 2004 and I see it being around a few more years.

We see a Ford f-350 4x4 van all the time in Idaho and kinda think that would be really groovy too!

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 12-31-2011, 11:33 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

2000 Chevy Z71 with 140K + miles.

It's now my second vehicle, relegated only to hunting and fishing, but it has always done what I asked it to. It's towed my boats and taken me on roads that made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. I love this truck.
thewalker1013 likes this.