The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 02:16 PM

pchung3009 is on a distinguished road
Default Waders options?

Hello all, I am not flyfisherman, but an avid angler, mainly bass. I have recently gotten hooked into river fishing the past two years and have gone out about 15-20 times a year and have wet waded each time. I figured it's time I invested in some waders and who to better ask then fly-fishermen.

I am in the Chicago area so besides the early spring and late fall, the water tends to be pretty warm. I have hit spots where the water gets above my waist, but mostly fishing in knee to thigh high waters. The river bottoms are pretty easy to maneuver, meaning no slippery rocks to deal with and not very muddy/silty.

I want to invest in breathable waders since most of my fishing will be done in the warmer months and I feel I can always layer up in colder times. I have asked for gift cards to Cabela's from everyone for Xmas so I will purchase my waders from them.

The three I have in mind are:

1) Cabela's Guide Tech Stockingfoot Waders, normally $199, but on sale at $179.
Cabela's: Cabela's Guide Tech™ Stockingfoot Waders – Regular

2) Simms Headwater Chest waders, $299
Cabela's: Simms Headwaters Chest Waders

3) Cabela's Guidewear Pro SBT, $249
Cabela's: Cabela's Guidewear Pro SBT Waders

The first Cabela's one seems to be a great bargain at $179 so I am leaning towards that. I am not sure about the more expensive Cabela's one, because then I'd might as well purchase the Simms which is only $50 more.

$300 vs. $180 is a pretty big swing considering I can get a pair of waders and boots for the price of the Simms waders alone.

Now, I am all about quality and don't mind paying for something if I feel it's worth it. I own a numbers $300+ reels and rods, but I personally don't see the need to purchase the $500+ reels and rods. I am more than satisfied with what I have. I am wondering if it's the same with waders and if people feel the same way. Remember, I only visit the river about 15-20 times a year so it's not gonna get too abused. Hell, even on the really hot days, I will probably still wet wade it.

I don't think I can go wrong either way, I know Cabela's stands behind their products so should anything happen to them, I feel pretty confident that I can always return them for a new pair. However, I have read so many good things about the Simms brand, normally about the G3's and G4's, but only positive comments about their products.

I know, a trivial question and a topic that has been discussed many times in this forum, but please help this bass angler decide on which waders to invest in.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Happy New Years all.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:43 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waders options?

You're going to hear plenty of opinions about going with the name brand, but over the years I've own 6 different pairs of Cabela's brand waders and I've never been disappointed.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:54 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I just got a pair of Redington's Sonic Pro waders to replace a pair of officially worn out Simm's G3's. So far I am very happy with the waders, especially for the money.
One thing I noticed is the booty isn't as comfy as the Simms. The Simms seems a bit more foot shaped. Other then that fit/comfort seems to be close at half the price.
Also I did not have the magical Simms customer service that some people have had.

Only time will tell regarding long term durability. One thing I have noticed is that wader life will vary drastically individual. Some people are hard as hell on them and others somehow manage to get 10+ years out of a pair.

Edit: Just noticed that Cabelas doesn't sell the Sonic Pro's. Oh well.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:11 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Buying waders?...be very careful...people who wade rivers are in danger of slipping.........into an expensive flyfishing addiction
Old 01-01-2012, 08:39 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Buying waders?...be very careful...people who wade rivers are in danger of slipping.........into an expensive flyfishing addiction
Priceless words of wisdom!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:47 AM

let m go will become famous soon enoughlet m go will become famous soon enough

I always wear a wader belt tight around my lower chest. Gives me enough time to recover from a fall before taking on a lot of water. A friend of mine fell in a river, his waders filled up before he could recover. Almost drowned, two guys were close by and were able to pull him out .
Old 01-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

If you can afford it, you can't go wrong buying Simms gear! Their waders are top notch and you won't regret the purchase.

Larry
Old 01-01-2012, 02:01 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
You're going to hear plenty of opinions about going with the name brand, but over the years I've own 6 different pairs of Cabela's brand waders and I've never been disappointed.
I'm with Rip Tide, You won't be disappointed with Cabela's brand.
If I could afford it I would get the Simms.
But at 2x the price...

Don't need to be fly fisherman to figure that one! Sorry...you're not...at least not yet. Try it you won't go back.

Larry
Old 01-01-2012, 02:23 PM

pchung3009 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I figured I couldn't go wrong either way. Most of the talk of Simms products are around the G3's and 4's, but I have not seen much on these Headwaters? Was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.

I am really leaning towards the cheaper Cabela's ones just because of the price. Even though I can afford spend $300 on the Simms Headwaters, my brain is telling me 1) I am new to wading so these might end in a corner in my garage 2) $300 can buy me waders and boots.

I would love to try flyfishing. I was fishing at a pond and some guy was flyfishing for panfish and he let me attempt a few casts on his outfit. It took me a while, but I was finally able to make cast about 15 feet. Trust me, if I lived where there were rivers and streams full of trout and salmon, I would be a fly angler. Instead, I live near lakes, ponds, and rivers full of smallies.

Thanks for the help again.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:04 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchung3009 View Post

I would love to try flyfishing. I was fishing at a pond and some guy was flyfishing for panfish and he let me attempt a few casts on his outfit. It took me a while, but I was finally able to make cast about 15 feet. Trust me, if I lived where there were rivers and streams full of trout and salmon, I would be a fly angler. Instead, I live near lakes, ponds, and rivers full of smallies.

Thanks for the help again.
I live an hour from Lake Fork in Texas and I fly fish a bass on a fly rod will make you go nuts trust me...