The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default The best Memory of 2011 Fishing;

Now the year is done, for some of us the season was brought to a close by the weather as winter came rolling onto the land. Each year usually has one highlight although the days may be hard to sort out there is one that shines a little brighter than the rest.

The highlight here was back in June with catching King salmon. I matched the biggest fish on a fly with one of them. It was a day like no others this year, I got a good number of salmon but one was definitely the prize. When I look ahead to this coming June it's obvious that the bar has been raised.

I know that this picture is worn out and you've seen it before but it caps off the year and I'm posting it once more. I promise not to paste fish until I get a bigger one this coming year

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 12-31-2011 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:27 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: The best Memory of 2011 Fishing;

31 inch 20 lb grass carp on a 6 weight 8 lb tippet by far took weeks of waking up at 530 on the weekend and multiple flies developed the crack the code and catch one (havnt caught one since)
Old 12-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You sound like a very serious fisherman. At least you got that one and there will be more I'm sure.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-31-2011, 06:18 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

This is easy, fishing a size 18 black zebra midge 7' deep under a indicator. The fish was a brookie 7" long. Between dropping the line while stripping and nearly stumbling walking backwards to keep tension on the line it was almost a miracle that I landed him.

It was my first fish on a fly rod...Will never loose the memory. And many thanks to everyone on the forum for their help.

Dave
Old 12-31-2011, 06:35 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to say it was an afternoon in mid-summer on one of my favorite little streams west of here. It wasn't about the biggest fish of the year or the most fish day of the season but it was one of those magical days when everything seemed right.

It seemed to take forever for the waters here to drop down to fishable levels. It was the end of July, the river was high for that time, but about perfect. I headed out from my campsite, on a section of stream I had never explored. The cutthroats were aggressive and plentiful. Hole to hole, through the riffles and deep slots. I worked down and caught quite a few fish searching with a dry fly. I saw one monster rise right off the opposite bank. I gasped at the size of that fish, and could not bring him up.

I started back up stream towards camp and rose fish after fish, one cast after the other, in the tailout then throughout this beautiful deep green hole (at the top of this photo).
Click the image to open in full size.

I don't remember how many 14+ inch cutthroat I watched come up out of that emerald depth and take my fly, but I quit fishing before they quit rising. Reeled up happy and sated. That was a great couple hours of fishing.

Happy New Year, all! Here's to the first fish of 2012!

Last edited by dean_mt; 01-01-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: bad speller!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:16 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

This one's easy for me, too. After not being able to fish for the entire summer season, I finally could walk well enough to head to New Brunswick. I landed this first fish (20 lbs based on length of 37") on my Celtic Beauty, the first time I had been able to fish that fly.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 12-31-2011, 07:50 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Those are some good salmon, Best for me was the evolution of myself as a trout fisherman, I've long had warmwater stuff figured out for the most part and catch fish, some good ones about every time I go out.

But this january I finally landed a trout on a fly that I had tied. (stocker)
Catching my first Stream born, wild trout in march. (on a fly I tied, 8 in. mccloud river rainbow)
Figuring out night streamer fishing this summer. (caught a lot of fish, a lot of BIG fish)
In October, being granted the ability to be able to teach and introduce, and take a whole new group of fly fishers out. (for work, put many on fish)
Old 12-31-2011, 07:54 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

June 29th was the big day for me and my son on Crown reserve water; the river is born across the N.B. border in Quebec and we fished a 9 mile stretch shortly below that in New Brunswick. It was a magical day with lots of action including my son's first two Atlantics; Priceless! If a picture is worth a thousand words, here's a few essays:

Old 12-31-2011, 08:14 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

My best fishing memory in 2011 was a day in November at my favorite local trout lake. My good friend and I were catching some nice holdover trout like this one, which was my half of a double hook-up. Click the image to open in full size. After we released the trout from the double, I said to my buddy, "You know, I STILL haven't caught a smallmouth from this lake!" Went back to strippin' streamers and less than five minutes later I stuck this... Click the image to open in full size. The lake record smallie was taken in June by a gear guy and weighed 3.5 lbs., so I was rather stoked! milt
Old 12-31-2011, 08:37 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

My last day of fishing for the year, today.

Last edited by kayo; 12-31-2011 at 11:10 PM.