The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 10:46 AM
andyosborne is on a distinguished road
Default new to forum and fly fishing

Hi, my name is andy and i am new here and to fly fishing. I am planning a fishing trip for late may early june and this will be my first attempt at fly fishing. I am an avid angler with the rod and reel using spinning and baitcasting gear. I have tied flies in the past just for fun but never used a fly rod. I am looking around trying to find an inexpensive yet not a POS combo. Would you guys please help me out and make a suggestion. Would like to keep my first fly rod and reel under 100 bucks until i know if i can do this.

thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 11:04 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: new to forum and fly fishing

its hard to find a combo thats not a pos for under 100 the bass pro shops tfo series one hobbs creek combo is 150 though and id recommend that
Old 01-01-2012, 11:21 AM

what about this one? Its gotten some really good reviews.

Cabela's: Cabela's Three Forks/Prestige Plus Fly Combo with Fly Line
Old 01-01-2012, 11:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

There's not too many truly POS rods out there. The technology is pretty much down pat. I'd say just pick one and go for it.
There's a Cortland and some Redington combos on Sierra Trading Post right now that looks pretty good to me. Just don't go for the cheapest one and you'll be fine.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:33 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Just 'my .02 cents' here but I've purchased a couple of these 'inexpensive' all in rod combos and have been pleased as punch with the whole deal. String this on to that, add fly and you're off fishing.

For trout fishing a heck of a good 'starter' (want a light weight rod sort of thing) place? Will you purchase more expensive gear later? Probably, but you'll never retire that bit o' kit. Bottom line is do you (really) need a $700.00 rod to fish for a 12" trout?

RT, etc., have it right.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:55 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Welcome Andy.

I will relay my experience getting into fly fishing hoping it might help you out...

When i finally made the leap i bought a Martin boxed combo from Dicks sporting goods. It truly was a POS. The rod might as well been a wet noodle the action was so slow. I then went back to Dicks and found a Redington Red.Fly 2 6wt combo for $90. I had finally found a quality rod to learn on. I have upgraded the reel now but otherwise i still use it to this day.

I would recommend you look for a Redington rod in your area. Quality rods at a great price.

I have a 3 forks rod as well. I picked up a 7wt for steelhead. I wanted to get at least some kind of rod asap. The rod action is good and would serve you well as a first time fly rod. However, the cork on the rod i got was very low grade. Lots and lots of filler was used. After a single fall of use most of the filler had come out of the cork handle.

Are all 3 Forks like this? Doubt it. It did leave a sour taste in my mouth for the model and i have since replaced it.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Yes, if i do well at it and enjoy it i may buy something better down the road. Most of my fishing will be wide open river fishing. Basically i need a rod and reel that will get a fly from point a to point b with some kinda accuracy and wont fall all to **** if and when i hook one. I did this same kinda thing when i got into bowhunting. My first bow was ok and got the job done. However 10 years later i have wayyyyyy updated my gear to the best you can buy and love every moment in the field, range or 3d course.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

and one good thing about buying through cabelas or bass pro, if it falls apart or your not happy with your purchase, they will take it back and make it right with you.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:42 PM

dans89 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyosborne View Post
what about this one? Its gotten some really good reviews.

Cabela's: Cabela's Three Forks/Prestige Plus Fly Combo with Fly Line
I bought this combo a few months back, and I can honestly say, that i don't believe that you can find a better combo for the money. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dans89 View Post
I bought this combo a few months back, and I can honestly say, that i don't believe that you can find a better combo for the money. Go for it, you won't be disappointed.
Thanks Dans89
Old 01-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum. That Cabela's three forks rod is actually a real good rod for the money. I'm not sure if they are still on sale, but even if they aren't, they are a good deal. K-Mart has a Scientic Anglers line that they sell for I think $10.59. Don't get to carried away on a reel and I think you get the whole thing for under the $100.