The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 02:38 PM

kbass is on a distinguished road
Default Boots

Any suggestions???
Old 01-01-2012, 02:44 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Boots

Simms, Korkers,
Old 01-01-2012, 03:09 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

I'm interested in how this goes.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:22 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbass View Post
Any suggestions???
C'mon. Give us something to work with.

What is the morphology of your foot? Do you have high insteps? Low insteps? Low volume? High volume? Fat foot? Skinny foot? Curved foot? Straight foot?

Do you live in a region that is outlawing felt?

If you can use felt, do you want to use felt or would you rather go with some sort of rubber soled boots.

Dennis
Old 01-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

MP has made some very pertinent points in question. He is in the business of getting people fitted with the right boot so you should give him some more to work with.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-01-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
C'mon. Give us something to work with.

What is the morphology of your foot? Do you have high insteps? Low insteps? Low volume? High volume? Fat foot? Skinny foot? Curved foot? Straight foot?

Do you live in a region that is outlawing felt?

If you can use felt, do you want to use felt or would you rather go with some sort of rubber soled boots.

Dennis
Sorry MP I am very new to this....

I have a wider foot with a little bit higher arch than normal, and it looks straight to me!

I have been reading that some areas around me are advising against felt since it is spreading unwanted algae. I am not sure the difference between the two but I'd rather go with the boot that impacts the least.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:38 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, I'm no longer in the business.

Wider foot, higher arch (I think that you mean instep), straighter foot, preference towards rubber. I'd err towards a Simms Rivershed or Guide Boot. Both have similar fits, but the difference are materials. The Rivershed uses a very durable synthetic material. The Guide Boot uses leather. Because of the materials, the Rivershed is lighter than the Guide Boot.

If you get a chance to try on boots, bring your waders and the sock that you intend on using to get a good real world fit.

Dennis
Old 01-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Good deal, thanks for the advice
Old 01-01-2012, 06:11 PM

I should add that if you want some extra insurance for grip, add the Hard Bite Studs.

Dennis
Old 01-01-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
I should add that if you want some extra insurance for grip, add the Hard Bite Studs.

Dennis
I will do that...

After reading up on those boots I am curious if felt is really the way to go? I understand the environmental aspect, but I read that you can clean felt in a clorox solution. What do you recommend?