The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 04:01 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Line to leader knot?

I'll second (or third?) on the tie fast tool. Simplicity at it's finest.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:00 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

The owner of Los Pinos Fly Shop, Albuquerque, NM, showed me a variation of the nail knot that gives you a loop connection without tying the (secondary) loop knot on the working end of the monofilament. Simply double over the monofilament before tying a nail knot and then proceed as you normally would; the looped end is the working end, the double stranded end is the "tag" end. When you are finished you have a nail knot with a loop end on your fly line that can connect directly to the loop of the leader.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that the tool is a must have item, BUT, you do not need to spend any money to put a LOOP in the end of your line and most leaders already come with a loop.

Just fold you FLY LINE over to form a loop (smaller the better). Then secure it with thread wraps (like wrapping a rod) throw a couple of half hitch knots, a dab of Zap-A Gap or Knot Sense and you are good to go. This is as strong as it gets. My line broke before the loop did in one case. Plus a clean smooth transition.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:13 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

Is there anything wrong with the Cortland slip-on loops, aside from being non-traditional? For example, do they provide a poor transition?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Burns,

That is a very good question. I have never used them so can't say how good they are. I would think they would be good for up to maybe 6wt line. I wouldn't use one on an 8wt line for Alaska just because of the way they are fasten. Joni's loop or a needle knot would be my preference. If I used one I would glue the butt instead of using the heat shrink. I don't have a good reason but it just seems like it would be stronger. Wait, I do have a good reason, I don't want to apply heat to the fly line finish.

OK, has anyone out there had a problem with the Cortland loops and what size was your line?
Old 08-01-2007, 11:41 AM

humpy is on a distinguished road

had some problems on an 8wt line with cortland loops. came off. fortunately only when i was stretching the line before starting to cast, and not when i had a fish on. went back to nail knots!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:11 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Line to leader knot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightlines57 View Post
Here is another link to good fishing knots.

Grog's Fishing Knots Index
This is an awesome knot-tying resource, showing 3-D animated stages in the tying of the knots, and it is not limited to just fly-fishing knots!
Old 08-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by burns View Post
Is there anything wrong with the Cortland slip-on loops, aside from being non-traditional? For example, do they provide a poor transition?
I've had problems with the Cortland slip-on loops, but it may just be my inexperience with using them. I had the same concern Frank expresses when it comes to using high heat that close to a fly line and what that would do to it. In addition, perhaps because I didn't use enough heat for the foregoing reason, the slip-on connector "slipped off" when I tested it using some pressure.

Not wanting that to happen on the water, I ended up going with the Scientific Anglers L2L leaders and line connectors (discussed in another thread on this Forum). They work great on the 5 & 7 weight lines I use, and unlike with many of the loop connectors, I haven't had any problem with the line-leader connection "hinging" when casting. While the leaders can be initially expensive, they can be "recycled" as butt sections for hand-tied leaders (which I prefer anyway), lasting indefinitely.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:09 PM

Kai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
I ended up going with the Scientific Anglers L2L leaders and line connectors (discussed in another thread on this Forum). They work great on the 5 & 7 weight lines I use, and unlike with many of the loop connectors, I haven't had any problem with the line-leader connection "hinging" when casting. While the leaders can be initially expensive, they can be "recycled" as butt sections for hand-tied leaders (which I prefer anyway), lasting indefinitely.

Here is another vote for the L2L reconnect leaders/connectors

I've been using them for a couple of weeks now, and I like them. Simple, foolproof, and easy to change out leaders if you feel the need (I keep my nymphing rigs permanently set up on their own leaders, and just change out leaders when I go from dries to nymphs.)
Old 08-29-2007, 07:39 PM

hardhat is on a distinguished road

As I am getting older it becomes more difficult and time consuming for me to tie knots in the field. I vote for the L to L. I nail knot a 30 pound test mono to my line. I have a perfect loop tied on the other end. The total length is about 4 inches. If I have leaders without loops, I will tie the perfect loop on the end before going in the field. For the nail knot I use the tool shown. It makes it very easy to tie the nail knot.