The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Line to leader knot?

Quote:
. . . easy to change out leaders if you feel the need (I keep my nymphing rigs permanently set up on their own leaders, and just change out leaders when I go from dries to nymphs.
Kai, I do the same. If I do the necessary rigging beforehand, it really maximizes on-stream time with a line in the water instead of time wasted frenetically tying different flies onto my tippit (while trout are rising all around).

Of course, really taking advantage of this to the max requires a lot of pre-rigged leaders and a good storage/retrieval system to keep them handy. I just got a couple of S.A.'s L2L leader storage "wheels" (2 pre-rigged leaders to a wheel), which are cheap, practical to use & quite compact, and easily stored in a small vest pocket, as well as S.A.'s interchangeable-insert flybox (not so cheap) which stores two of these leader storage wheels on one side and provides room on the other side for loose fly storage.

Frankly, while compact, the flybox is a bit heavy & bulky for my taste, & I would prefer it had storage on both sides for leader wheels which would allow storage in it for 8 pre-rigged leaders instead of just 4, but I really haven't evaluated either the leader wheels or the flybox yet (hopefully on my San Juan trip next month!).
Old 08-29-2007, 10:45 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Line to leader knot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
OK, has anyone out there had a problem with the Cortland loops and what size was your line?
Hi Frank... Just got back from our trip to the Bristol Bay Sportsfishing lodge in Alaska. We were based at Lake Iliama. We did fly out fishing for five days and the hosts, guides and pilots were great. We used two 6wt rods with the Cortland slip on loops that I had rigged up from home. We caught grayling, dolly varten and a slew of 18 to 22 inch trout on our rods and really gave the drags a heavy work out! I asked the guide to teach me how to tie a nail knot with the tie fast tool. I must admit this makes the nail knot pretty easy to tie, although the guide taught me to do this using my teeth. We let all the fish go except a few silver salmon which are sitting in my freezer. We used the lodges 8wt rods to fish for the salmon. I got to fly the Beaver float plane for a while. I really love that airplane. I may have to get back into flying.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Of course, really taking advantage of this to the max requires a lot of pre-rigged leaders and a good storage/retrieval system to keep them handy. I just got a couple of S.A.'s L2L leader storage "wheels" (2 pre-rigged leaders to a wheel), which are cheap, practical to use & quite compact, and easily stored in a small vest pocket, as well as S.A.'s interchangeable-insert flybox (not so cheap) which stores two of these leader storage wheels on one side and provides room on the other side for loose fly storage.

Frankly, while compact, the flybox is a bit heavy & bulky for my taste, & I would prefer it had storage on both sides for leader wheels which would allow storage in it for 8 pre-rigged leaders instead of just 4, but I really haven't evaluated either the leader wheels or the flybox yet (hopefully on my San Juan trip next month!).

I use an Orvis fly box that has a removable insert for storing dropper rigs. You can wind two or three rigs on this insert.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:37 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Welcome to Fly Fishing:

Knowing "how to" when it comes to knots is primo in the
fly-fishing world. If you've been frustrated, welcome to
the club, for we've all been thru that experience. Sometime
back I wrote a 20-30 page fly fishing manual for some friends
at my church who attended a class I held to learn fly fishing.
In my research for this paper I went to the internet for the
simplest way to teach knot tying The site I found (thru Google,
just typed fishing knots, found lots of sites ) gave great step-
by-step pictures for tying most all knots you'll ever need.

I agree with some of the earlier comments : Once you learn
one or two of the primary ones, learning the others is a much
simplier task.

Glad to hear from other Michigan folk,

Tie One On
Old 08-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonStreams View Post
Hi Frank... Just got back from our trip to the Bristol Bay Sportsfishing lodge in Alaska. We were based at Lake Iliama. We did fly out fishing for five days and the hosts, guides and pilots were great. We used two 6wt rods with the Cortland slip on loops that I had rigged up from home. We caught grayling, dolly varten and a slew of 18 to 22 inch trout on our rods and really gave the drags a heavy work out! I asked the guide to teach me how to tie a nail knot with the tie fast tool. I must admit this makes the nail knot pretty easy to tie, although the guide taught me to do this using my teeth. We let all the fish go except a few silver salmon which are sitting in my freezer. We used the lodges 8wt rods to fish for the salmon. I got to fly the Beaver float plane for a while. I really love that airplane. I may have to get back into flying.
Hi Oregon,

I was just thinking about your trip yesterday. It sounds like you had a great time. Don't tell me we aren't going to get any photos. We need more information. What rivers did you fish? Silvers are probably my favorite Salmon to catch. How many guests were there at the lodge? How many flew with you? I like to keep up with the various lodges in Alaska and what they offer for the money.

Thanks for the information about the Cortland Slip-on loops. I guess they work for some folks. I would not have wanted that on there if I had hooked up with a 30+ inch Rainbow.

The Beaver is just a great airplane. Back in the 70's the floats for a Beaver were 50K. I can't imagine what they cost today. My other favorite is the Grumman Goose but they are older than the hills. We always liked to use a Goose on our bear hunts. We could take everything but the kitchen sink. My Maul was a good bush plane but hard to fly. Had to stay on top of it all the time when landing.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:22 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Line to leader knot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
I use an Orvis fly box that has a removable insert for storing dropper rigs. You can wind two or three rigs on this insert.
I had not seen your Orvis fly box. Coincidentally, I've been looking at another Orvis fly box for my dropper rigs, but that's all it seems to hold, and I'm not sure I need room for 15 of them (image attached). Yours has more flexibility, particularly if fly box vest/chestpack storage space is limited.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orvis $24.50 Dropper Rig Fly Box (SI76KH).jpg (74.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-30-2007, 01:26 PM

dogger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Eric,

Tie a short piece of 25 to 40 lb mono to the end of the fly line using a nail knot or the tool. Now tie a loop in the end of the mono so you can loop on your leader. The mono on the end of the fly line only needs to be 4 inches or so long. Now when you want to change leaders all you have to do is un-loop the old leader and loop on a new one. Works very well. You can buy fly lines with the loop built into the end of the line and this keeps you from adding the short piece of mono.

Click the image to open in full size.

I use the method Frank mentions with the loop knot, not only is it easy, you can switch leaders in seconds.....

Another suggestion, take the rod and reel to the fly-shop, buy that tool OR just asked them to show you how to tie the knots you want, provided you are purchasing the leaders, etc from them
Old 08-31-2007, 12:32 AM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank... I have lots of pictures! I plan to post a report when I get back from Labor Day Weekend. I am busy trying to get my camping gear in order.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:22 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I usually nail knot a 10" or so peice of 20-25# red amnesia on to the flyline & either use loops or a blood knot to attach the leader to it. This way I always have a strike indicator on the line. I just use a 2" peice of brass tubing to tie the nail knot & then use Ultraviolet "Knot Sense" to smooth out all the knots so they go thru the tiptop easily. If you use any of those braided " Chinese Finger" loops be careful if you use crazy glue. It will stiffen up the flyline & you 'll end up with a hinge section & the line will crack right behind where the crazy glue was.
Good Luck