The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 02:40 PM

Eric Cioe is on a distinguished road
Default Line to leader knot?

Hey guys,

I got my first set up this week, and after a few hours learning to cast in the lawn, I was eager to get in the water (Muskegon Lake).

So I got up this morning and decided to tie a leader on to my line. About an hour later, I was frustrated to no end trying to make my nail knot nice and tidy, so I called it good, tightened it, and went out.

I put a fly on, started casting, and within a minute I noticed that my leader and fly were gone. I didn't have any replacement leader on me, and at that point I was so mad I could've sold my rod.

So I'm going out to get some more leaders, and I'd like to try it again tomorrow. My question is - for now, is there any other way to attatch a leader to a fly line? I'll have to learn the nail knot eventually, but I'm just looking to get some time in the water in now, and maybe hook a bluegill. Will an Albright knot work for now?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 07-21-2007, 02:48 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Line to leader knot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cioe View Post
Hey guys,

I got my first set up this week, and after a few hours learning to cast in the lawn, I was eager to get in the water (Muskegon Lake).

So I got up this morning and decided to tie a leader on to my line. About an hour later, I was frustrated to no end trying to make my nail knot nice and tidy, so I called it good, tightened it, and went out.

I put a fly on, started casting, and within a minute I noticed that my leader and fly were gone. I didn't have any replacement leader on me, and at that point I was so mad I could've sold my rod.

So I'm going out to get some more leaders, and I'd like to try it again tomorrow. My question is - for now, is there any other way to attatch a leader to a fly line? I'll have to learn the nail knot eventually, but I'm just looking to get some time in the water in now, and maybe hook a bluegill. Will an Albright knot work for now?

Thanks,

Eric
E if you can tie an albright you can tie a nail...get one of the metal knot tools at your fly shop
Old 07-21-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Eric,

Sorry about your problems. Here is a picture of the "Tie Fast Tool" and it makes great nail type knots. It is very handy for tieing a leader to your fly line. Here is a better way to my mind. Tie a short piece of 25 to 40 lb mono to the end of the fly line using a nail knot or the tool. Now tie a loop in the end of the mono so you can loop on your leader. The mono on the end of the fly line only needs to be 4 inches or so long. Now when you want to change leaders all you have to do is un-loop the old leader and loop on a new one. Works very well. You can buy fly lines with the loop built into the end of the line and this keeps you from adding the short piece of mono.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:07 PM

Roast is on a distinguished road

Heres a resource that I have found useful: Orvis_Knots . I used a bic ink pen for the tube (I cut off the clear portion opposite the tip) Hope it helps.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:34 AM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Hi Eric... I am going to recommend fly fishing blasphemy. Cortland Slip On Leader Loops. Now don't do this unless your wife has one of those heat shrinking guns. A match does NOT work. Add a bit o super glue to the end near the heat shrink tube just in case. Or better yet, take your reel down to the fly shop and have the fly guy tie on a monofilament loop. If you use the slip on leader loop, don't let any serious fly friends know about it. It is strictly DONT ASK, DONT TELL.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:13 AM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

I have always had a difficult time with the nail knot so I use an Albright knot.

Invest in the tool Frank pictured. I have seen it used, it's an awesome tool, will have to get one soon.
Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 AM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Here is another link to good fishing knots.

Grog's Fishing Knots Index
Old 07-22-2007, 12:20 PM

Eric Cioe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightlines57 View Post
I have always had a difficult time with the nail knot so I use an Albright knot.

Invest in the tool Frank pictured. I have seen it used, it's an awesome tool, will have to get one soon.
I did pick one of those up yesterday - lost another leader, though that was probably just me being a bonehead. I tied yet another one on this morning, made sure it was perfect, yanked it as hard as I could, and it still held. I think I'll go fishing again tomorrow.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:09 PM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

Those nailknot tools are awesome, work like a champ. I used to bother my local fly shop to tie my leaders on and then I started guiding and figured I better learn how to tie a couple simple knots. Have never had a nailknot come use loose after using the nailknot tool.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I agree on the greatness of the tie-fast tool. Just sit there and practice tying them with old junk catfishing line or something. Use it enough and you'll never forget how to use the thing.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.