The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2012, 06:23 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default adding eyes to flies

is there really a significant advantage in adding eyes to flies or is it just for show?
Old 01-02-2012, 06:27 PM

jk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nicejk 8 is just really nice
Default Re: adding eyes to flies

I could see how adding eyes to streamer patterns like Clousers and Decievers would help a lot, but on things like nymphs and wet flies, I feel like they would be mostly for show. Just my opinion though
Old 01-02-2012, 07:10 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I feel that you never really know what a fish might key on on any particular day. The more of whatever elements make a representation of a particular food item should help right?
Then, too if you're adding weight, or color, or both why not do it with a material that adds a detail to the "picture"?

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

well its kinda hard to do that with ep fiber minnows
Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
well its kinda hard to do that with ep fiber minnows
I put eyes on them. How are you trying to do it?
Old 01-02-2012, 08:59 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

I put eyes on big streamers with superglue and they stick right to the dubbing head....so well in fact that i've had to cut them off to put on bigger ones at times.

The eyes on these flies are just stuck on
Click the image to open in full size.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-02-2012, 09:20 PM

anadromous angling addict has a spectacular aura aboutanadromous angling addict has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk 8 View Post
I could see how adding eyes to streamer patterns like Clousers and Decievers would help a lot, but on things like nymphs and wet flies, I feel like they would be mostly for show. Just my opinion though
I have to disagree. Dragonfly and Damselfly nymphs have quite prominent eyes. The eyes help them hunt other aquatic insects and small fishes. All of the best dragonfly patterns seem to incorporate eyes for these carnivorous bugs. These eyes are usually tied in with deer hair across the shank of the hook, or you can purchase small barbell type eyes to tie into your patterns. Butler's Bug is one example.

I go by this simple rule: If the forage has PROMINENT eyes, tie them in.

Another example is selective cutthroat trout. I have developed chum fry and pink fry patterns for sea run cutties that I use when they are tuned in to a specific size of fry appearing in abundance. These fry come up out of the gravel, collect in small schools and immediately head for the ocean. Cutthroat become VERY selective at this time. They will reject all offerings unless they are a similar size shape and color. I experimented with and without eyes and found that, although the silhouette is most important, the color is not as important as having the eyes tied in. For these flies I use small "sheet" eyes lacquered in.

Some species have "eye" markings on their tails (ie. Redfish), and it is possible they have evolved as a mechanism to escape predation.

Hope this helps,
AAA

Last edited by anadromous angling addict; 01-02-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:21 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Just for show.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Just for show.
I can't tell you how many times that I've read that fish key in on the eyes, but fact is that it's really just show.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:06 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I add bead chain eyes to Wooly Buggers, on top of the hook shank. Even smaller eyes will cause the fly to ride with the barb up. That means very few snags. They look like something that just has to be eaten, and work as damsel fly nymphs.