The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Making the Right Connection Between Natural Insects and Artificial Flies

On Wednesday, Jan 4, at 7 pm MST, Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio is doing an episode with Rick Hafele who will talk about "Making the Right Connection Between Natural Insects and Artificial Flies".
Fly Fishing - Internet Radio

Rick has a Master of Science degree in aquatic entomology from Oregon State University, and worked as a professional aquatic biologist for over 30 years, specializing in water quality assessment using aquatic insects. In the course of both his professional work and his fly fishing, Rick has spent more than 40 years observing aquatic insects and fish communities in creeks, streams, rivers, and lakes. He’s an expert on connecting the dots between the natural world of insects and the artificial world of flies. Listen in to learn how to recognize hatches, pick the right flies and be more successful on your favorite trout stream or river.

Rick has written articles for scientific journals, and penned the Aquatic Entomology column for American Angler magazine for over 30 years. Books to his credit include An Angler’s Guide to Aquatic Insects and Their Imitations (with Scott Roederer, Johnson Books, 1995), The Complete Book of Western Hatches (with Dave Hughes, Amato Pub., 1981), Western Mayfly Hatches (with Dave Hughes, Amato Pub. 2005), and most recently Nymph Fishing Rivers and Streams (Stackpole Books, 2006).

Old 01-03-2012, 07:25 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making the Right Connection Between Natural Insects and Artificial Flies

Thanks for the heads up Frank.

Dave
Old 01-04-2012, 01:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Making the Right Connection Between Natural Insects and Artificial Flies

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Thanks for the heads up Frank.

Dave
I agree with Rick, Larry Thanks

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, my apologies Larry, don't know what was on my mind.

Dave
Old 01-04-2012, 12:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, I am never able to listen to the podcasts live. If you are like me, you can download the podcast later and listen to it on an Ipod. I have an Ipod connection in my car and I listen as I drive.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Unfortunately, I am never able to listen to the podcasts live. If you are like me, you can download the podcast later and listen to it on an Ipod. I have an Ipod connection in my car and I listen as I drive.
Silver: I have the same problem (the girlfriend likes to call at 7 pm), so I get on a couple days later and listen to them from the web site. Thanks, that is a good tip, I have an Ipod but never thought of downloading the podcasts and listening to them later.

Dave: No problem (I've been called worse), I just figured you were tying a little fast!

Old 01-04-2012, 03:10 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Ask About Fly Fishing Internet Radio used to automatically download their podcasts into iTunes with a free subscription. Now they have gone to a paid format if you want a free automatic download. Now I manually download the MP3 file and load it into my iPod just like a music file.

The problem with a MP3 vs a podcast format is that the iPod software allows you to listen to podcasts at 2X speed which allows you to get through them twice as fast. Also the podcast format remembers where you left off each podcast so you can go back at anytime in the future.

The MP3 format assumes the file is music and if you listen to any music or leave the MP3, it will go back to the beginning of the podcast and not where you stopped listening. So if you stop listening to the podcast, note the time. The next time you want to pick up where you left, use the iPod feature that allows you to fast forward on the upper portion of the touch screen to where you want.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Silver: Thanks for the awesome tips on the podcasts!

Larry

Old 01-05-2012, 10:53 PM

They started sending out the podcasts again so those interested can subscribe to get them sent your computer. It also is easier to listen to them as podcasts rather than MP3s.

Silver