The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 11:46 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Wet wading foot wear

Wondering what you all are wearing on your feet wet wading. I ahvew aways wore a pair of old tennis shoes or sandles. Wondering if I shoud invest in something made for this.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:34 PM

patriotfly26 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wet wading foot wear

I know a lot of people lately that have gotten infections from open wounds while wet wading.

The stream and river water breeds bacteria, so if you have any cuts that haven't healed on your legs don't wet wade. If you have no cuts, use an old pair of sneakers, cargo pants or shorts, and just be careful as always. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I wear my wading boots along with a pair of Simms Guard Socks. It is a neoprene sock with a gravel guard that folds over the top of the boot. I also wear a hiking sock underneath the Guard Sock.

I like the idea of having my feet protected when I'm in the water.

Click the image to open in full size.

MP

Edit: These wet wading socks are not waterproof. You would be surprised on how many people thing that they are waterproof.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 07-02-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: added something
Old 07-02-2010, 05:49 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

I do the same as MP I just wear neoprene socks and my felt soles.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:37 PM

trapper50cal is on a distinguished road

I tried wet wading with Keen River sandals...The Animas rocks are just too slippery. I wear a regular pair of socks in my studded felt-soled Simms wading boots.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:09 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

I use the same set up as MP with the Simms Guard Socks and wading boots. I have tried going with just sandals or other water shoes and always come back to this set up.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Makes sense. I was thinkig of the keen sandals but may recondsider.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:06 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracker12 View Post
Makes sense. I was thinkig of the keen sandals but may recondsider.
I use either Keen sandals or Simms wading socks & felt sole boots depending on conditions. The usual choice driver is water temperature. The Simms wading socks provide warmth retention much like a wet suit on my feet so I prefer them over Keen sandals when the water is less than 60-65 degrees or so. When the water temperatures rise into the 60's I prefer the Keen sandals over the Simms wading socks and wading boots. The Keens are less stable than felt soled wading shoes on slippery surfaces. On big rocks I prefer felt, but on small coble, gravel, sand, or soft bottom rivers the Keens work great.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:21 PM

trapper50cal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWCC View Post
I use either Keen sandals or Simms wading socks & felt sole boots depending on conditions. The usual choice driver is water temperature. The Simms wading socks provide warmth retention much like a wet suit on my feet so I prefer them over Keen sandals when the water is less than 60-65 degrees or so. When the water temperatures rise into the 60's I prefer the Keen sandals over the Simms wading socks and wading boots. The Keens are less stable than felt soled wading shoes on slippery surfaces. On big rocks I prefer felt, but on small coble, gravel, sand, or soft bottom rivers the Keens work great.
Yup....2X, I agree
Old 07-03-2010, 12:35 AM

indymatt is on a distinguished road

I just bought some of Korkers sandals, they have interchangeable soles on them. I got the studded felt sole in addition to the lug sole bottoms. Should work well! Also some of the zip off leg pants work well. Although most people I know leave them on so that your legs don't get scratched up from nettles and thistle on the hike into the river.