The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2012, 08:07 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Cool Awsome First day of fishing for 2012

Hi everyone,
Today was my first trip on the water for 2012, and first trip on the creek with my new Allen gear, and dispite low numbers the trip was epic! I started the day off a bit later then I hoped but with temps around 30 I wasnt goign fast. I got on the creek and started making my rounds at the usual spots. I got a small surprise at the bottom of a rapid when I draged in a small brown trout, which are stocked in very low numbers in this creek. I did get this catch on video which Ill add later. Fishing was very slow for awhile after that untill I caught a small bow, normal stocker fish. I was on the way toward a trail connection when I decided to fish the outflow of the next rapid, and WOW am I glad i did! I had a small nibble followed by a strong run.( First time this has happend to me) I was in shock for moment trying to get my line sorted and on the reel. After a surprisingly short fight I landed a rare for the creek big bow. I was kinda surprised after the adrenalin slowed down on how short the fight was, but the fish had some wounds and a funny looking eye so my guess it was just weak. either way a great start to 2012. This was also the test run on my gopro hd for use on the creek and with good results will be seen once I get the video posted. heres the pics!!!

Click the image to open in full size.

I have no pics of the brown trout, itll be in the video.

heres to 2012
Mike
Old 01-04-2012, 08:35 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Awsome First day of fishing for 2012

Looks like a great day, Mike! If I didn't have to restock my nymph and small streamer box I would absolutely head out there tomorrow. Can't wait to see the video, I'm just going to hit refresh until it shows up

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-04-2012, 08:48 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Very nice! Single digit temps here in Upstate NY, today, so it was a good evening to sit in front of the woodstove and practice tying flies....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

thanks, ok I cant complain to much hearing single digits.. as for this big trout I think it was a fluke oddity for this creek.. but who knows could be sign of change.
Mike

PS,, video just started upload, once its up and the music is workign Ill link it.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jeez,

Wish I were there with you, good to see your having fun already.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-04-2012, 11:03 PM

heres the video from today with the chest mounted gopro.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Nice pictures and video! You have some nice looking water down there for sure.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:45 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice video Mike. That GoPro is pretty nifty and the resolution is great. I'm kinda tempted to pick one up for myself! Loving to see the Allen gear put to use as well, we'll look like Allen spokespeople out on the water next week, haha.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 01-05-2012, 10:12 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

dig the blues soundtrack. I'm jealous of how your creeks run this time of year!

I caught my first fish of 2012 on Jan.2 in the middle of Utah. We stumbled across a tiny creek loaded with 10-15" browns; countless bites and chases, managed a few to hand. It was beautiful and unexpected.

Happy new year!
Old 01-05-2012, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report ,pics and video Mike....liked the soundtrack too