The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 04:38 PM

lthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the roughlthrnk03 is a jewel in the rough
Default Fly Tying

I'm getting ready to start my venture into fly tying. To all those who tie their own flies.... Did learning to tie flies help your fly fishing? If so, how?

Sent from my Droid Incredible using Tapatalk
Old 01-05-2012, 05:07 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly Tying

Yes in sooo many ways.

1. You can try patterns or modify patterns to see if these new flies are more effective than the ones you can buy at your local shop. This means you learn what works and what doesn't.

2. You don't run out of flies. This is a biggie. It seems to me that the flies in the size that are working are the ones that are unavailable when you need them.

3. The flies you tie to replace the ones you use. This shows you which patterns work the most often.

4. When the flies you have are not working, you can tie others up on the river. You can experiment and this makes you a better fly fisher a non tier can never do this. They are at the mercy of the fly shop.

5. By tying your own flies from nymph to emerger to dun to spinner, you learn more about the life cycles of the food.

6. You learn about materials and this allows to better judge the materials on commercial flies.

7. Similarly, becoming a fly tier allows you to judge the what is a quality fly and a properly constructed fly.

8. By experimenting and learning what works and what does not, you learn what new flies you see in a fly shop are more likely to work and which ones are less likely.

These are just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more reasons.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-05-2012, 05:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
I'm getting ready to start my venture into fly tying. To all those who tie their own flies.... Did learning to tie flies help your fly fishing? If so, how?
Personally, I don't see how anyone that fly fishes could not tie.
First of all, you're more likely to get a better handle on the entomology. And not just the difference between caddis and mayflies and stoneflies, but the difference between say, crawling and net-building caddis, or where and when to expect to see sulphers, BWOs, or hexes.
But most importantly by tying your own you'll learn to why certain fly designs work and others are just a gob of fur and feathers. It takes a good bit of experence, but when you can look at a fly a say, "these features are why this is a good fly and a fly that catches fish" that that other fly is just "a fly that catches fishermen" gives you a giant step up beyound others that can't realize the difference.
After that I guess I would add that I tie a great deal of my flies after I get home from a less than sucessful outing. You have ideas, theories that need to be tied up for the next similar situation. ...
You can't buy that. You can only make them yourself.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

It makes me feel so much more accomplished if i catch a fish on a fly i tied.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Tying Flies is an exciting & no one will admit to,is a time consuming pastime as there are so many Patterns,creations you can Tie.
I first started tying Flies way back in 1958 /1959,just before we were about to go to one of our Local Lakes,the closest at the time about 30-40 miles away,a guy living the next street brought his gear & tied some Flies for us .
We went fishing & I caught 2 nice Rainbows,I was Hooked.
After That I bought some Books & have aquired quite a Library over the years as we didn't have The Internet,or U-Tube.
I virtually Tie all my Flies with the exception of buying an odd one for a Pattern.
I've been tying Flies for the last week or so even though it's a bit hard with my Neck,Shoulder & Finger problems then going & using them,I have caught quite a few Rainbows to over 3 1/2lbs,Browns to over 5lbs,however I find it difficult to take pictures as I try not to keep them out of the water.
So the answer to your Question is yes even though I as well as everyone else has spent countless hours Tying Flies,it's been a long passion I've had, it's always exciting when you feel that Tug on your Line,especially on one of your own creations,however Quality Hooks & Materials are not cheap.
Good Luck.
Brian.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:25 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I should add that there are several things that fly tying will not do.

It will not make you popular with your wife when she finds a dead muskrat in the freezer like my wife once found. Sometimes it can make think you have an intruder, like I did when a housekeeper screamed on seeing some fox pelts dangling from basement water pipes. Your wife may ask what you got into as my wife did when I once stopped to check out a dead skunk for road kill fur to tie a Brooks Skunk Hair Caddis. I left it alone but apparently I got a bit too close.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually did a thread on this recently;

The case for tying your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
It will not make you popular with your wife when she finds a dead muskrat in the freezer like my wife once found. .....I once stopped to check out a dead skunk for road kill fur to tie a Brooks Skunk Hair Caddis. I left it alone but apparently I got a bit too close.
I have done the skunk thing, in my freezer it was dead squirrels, road kill is awsome and we have much in common.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:20 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Before I started tying, losing flies was a catastrophe: I didn't have that many and I always knew just how much each cost. Now I have a general idea that I have quite a few bucks tied up (no pun intended) in materials, but no clue as to how much each bug cost. And I have more flies than I know what to do with. With very few exceptions, losing bugs is no sweat 'cause I've got lots more.
This is a good thing for me because I just KNOW there's a fish in every brush pile and log jam and any I find, I'm gonna work 'em 'til I snag up.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 01-06-2012, 11:04 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

While I was tromping through a hole to retrieve yet another 2$ snagged fly, I met a guy who stated, "I'm here to fish, not hunt for snagged flies!"

Tying your own get's flies down to about $0.25-$0.50 each. This time of year the fish are hugging the bottom next to all of the snags; also it is cold enough that I would rather not wade. I've been losing plenty of flies, but also finding the fish down there along the bottom.

Also, I have tied several flies that are not available in stores that have caught me some of my best fish. This is the best part for me; going to heavily pressured waters and catching fish while others are scratching their heads.
Just do it, if it is not your thing you can always sell the stuff here or on craigslist.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Tying flies is often an inseparable and intrinsic aspect of being what is commonly known as a Fly Fisherman. I received a trout & pan Fish fly tying kit before I owned a fly rod, it was a gift from my sisters employer when I was 14 I think. So in my case I was attempting to tie flies before I had a clue of what to do with them.

As years spun into decades and decades became 'scores' being able to make anything I wanted or needed to catch a fish became as much a reward as the catching of said fish. I would advise a person to go right ahead and get started. This whole thing is about patience, about finesse, about knowledge, and fly tying will provide all of these experiences while also filling your requirements for whatever you need to tie to a leader. I haven't tied or mastered all or every type of fly but I've learned to do many different styles and in a personal measure it gives me great satisfaction to have done all that

You might as well get going just in case that whole Mayan Calender thing is true, time may be short

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;