The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 08:27 PM

rschreck will become famous soon enoughrschreck will become famous soon enough
Default Wading pants.

If I don't plan on getting above mid thigh, can I get away with wading pants? Or would you recommend getting full waders "just in case"?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wading pants.

I, and many of my friends, who are all old guys like me (almost 62) have all gone to waist highs.
Gary
Old 01-05-2012, 09:07 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my dad has a pair of the ll bean emerger wading pants and loves them
my patagonia waders have an adjustable strap system that allows me to go either chest or waist high.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-05-2012, 09:31 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Hi rschreck,

I haven't looked at them lately, but my old Streamline waist highs had an internal fold down bib, that could be pulled up around your chest and secured in place with a draw cord so you can forge through deep water in the event you need to Go Deep .

If that's the way the new ones are built, then I'd consider it. If not, I'd be sure to be shipping water over the rails, sooner or later.

TT
Old 01-06-2012, 06:46 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I got both. If you know for sure how deep the water is and are not going to fish other areas get the pants. If theres doubt, get the convertable waders that can be folded down from chest high to waist high
Old 01-06-2012, 07:20 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I primarily fish small spring creeks and went with the G3 convertibles for the "just in case". Three years and I've never converted them. Next pair will be the pants.
Rich
Old 01-06-2012, 09:22 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I wear the pants much more often. I think if you're wading deep enough where you need chest waders, you're probably wading too deep. Probably more true for rivers than lakes. There's always exceptions.

I have a older pair of Cloudveil pants that i really liked, on their last legs now (and no, the zippers are not waterproof - lol), I've gone through a couple pairs of the Cabelas wading pants, and I have a pair of G3 convertibles

Now that they make G3 pants again, I'll probably get a pair of those

If it's raining or snowing.. I'll wear chest highs..
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Seems like convertibles work best for me. Worn waist high they are cool and comfortable in most circumstances.....worn chest high in rain or while tubing.

I've worn them as pants in my tube and that's risky for the guys with the plumber's crack thing going on.

If I could really afford both pants and chest highs it might be different, but I can't and pay for gas to go fish. Convertibles do both things well, IMO.

Mike
Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

While I agree that there's generally little reason to be more than waist deep while fishing (casting's tough, can't see into the water well), its common for me to be belly-button deep for 20 seconds multiple times a day while moving from spot to spot.

That's a bad time to be wearing waders that stop 4" lower than yer navel.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
While I agree that there's generally little reason to be more than waist deep while fishing (casting's tough, can't see into the water well), its common for me to be belly-button deep for 20 seconds multiple times a day while moving from spot to spot.

That's a bad time to be wearing waders that stop 4" lower than yer navel.
There's an old fishing adage that says:
Quote:
"Hipboots are only a measure of how deep the water was when you got wet"
I would think you could substitute "wading pants" for "hipboots" if you liked.