The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2007, 03:11 PM

Parrothead2888 is on a distinguished road
Default Been a while

Well I got out and fly fished for the first time in about 15-20 years. Needless to say I'm hooked again. My gear is OLD. Fiberglass rod with a cheap Martin reel. Found out my waders had a hole in them, got that fixed already as I use them for hunting and season will be here quickly. Got new line on my rod but I can now afford something more than the $3.00 rod out of a wooden barrel from the drug store(really that's what it cost and where it came from!). I don't need top of the line but surely don't want cheap/low grade b/c I'll jsut be unhappy knowing it's sub-par and would replace withing about 2 week of buying it. Has anyone tried the Genisis outfit from Cabela's or are the Cabela's/Bass pro proprietary rods even worth looking at? Should I just get a more name brand like Sage. I know the rods can get very expensive and typically are bought separatly from reels if the combos are not worth my time I'd like to know that also. Basically any help is greatly appreciated!!
Oh, and I was thinking about keeping my old set up for farm pond fishing which is where I spend most of my time fishing around KC MO(I have to drive long distances to even consider trout fishing). Or should I just strip off the new line I just put on it and toss it?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Been a while

ParrotHead... I suspect that combos are the best value. I have used Sage Rods for over twenty years, so it was a no brainer for me when I bought a new rod. That said, you can now buy a decent four piece rod for a bit over a hundred dollars. So I bought a four piece TFO for my son. I also see ECHO rods recommended here. You might like a TFO rod combined with an Orvis Mid Arbor reel.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:18 AM
troutman is on a distinguished road

ParrotHead,
The Hobbs Creek Combo from Bass Pro is pretty good. It is what I use from time to time. It was my first fly rod. I have the 7'6" 4wt. Here it is White River Fly Shop Hobbs Creek Large Arbor Disc Drag Outfits -Rod & Reels It cast well, breaks down pretty easily, and is a pretty good all around rod. Mine is a medium-fast action. Now having said that, I also have a TFO Pro 9' 5wt with a Hardy Brothers LRH Reel that I'm starting to use. I like the TFO rod. This is the first rod out of the 5 that I have used, mine and several friends, that I have been able to cast over 60 feet with. The rod is fast action, and it seems like I just barely have to move it to cast. I'm very pleased with this rod. Cabelas has a combo of my rod and their reel for around $200 if you are interested Cabela's -- Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Professional Series/Cabela's Prestige Plus Fly Combo
I hope all this helps and you find something you like.
Aaron
Old 07-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sage makes outstanding rods, though I couldn't say they're the best value out there. I think that title belongs to ECHO or TFO. fly fishing - fly fishing gear can get you any ECHO rod you need and has a "test drive" program as well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-27-2007, 05:59 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Keep that old fiberglass rod. You will find it casts differently from what is on the market today. I have one, not sure how old it is but I like to dig it out occasionally and have some fun with it.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:58 AM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Welcome to the board!

I'm north of you in Atchison, KS. The fishing is similar here. Let's hear it for bass and bluegills!

I'm close to buying one of Cabela's rods--probably a Three Forks, given my limited budget. There's a general consensus on the various fly fishing web boards i follow that Cabela's rods are a good value for the money.

I understand they use the pond at the KC store for test casts, though get that secondhand. It's worth asking about before you pay any cash. by the way, the folks in the flyshop have always been extremely helpful and courteous. I've found a good way to learn flyfishing is to browse the place (fun in itself) and eavesdrop as they work with other customers, particularly beginners or people who are branching out. With the volume of business, there's inevitably a customer like that in the place, and the explanations and recommendations are a goldmine.