The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Ugly Bugger

Well....her she is, my first tie. She uglier than sin, the soft hackle ended up more oval shape than completely circling the body. The kit that I bought didn't come while chenille, so I had to use Peacock Herl. Also, I don't think I picked the best feather for the soft hackle.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ugly Bugger

actually... I kinda like it.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:58 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
actually... I kinda like it.
Thanks, I hope to get some more time tonight to get a couple more done. I'll get some chenille, different color Marabou and feathers to use.... I many of these in my fly boxes.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:30 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

a little tip
you need to find "the sweet spot" on the hackle and cut it there before tying the feather in
it's the spot where the stem goes from being stiff to supple
just hold the feather at both ends and bend it in a semi circle... you'll see
Old 01-09-2012, 09:32 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Great first effort. Send you a video by PM of tying the woolly bugger. Hope it helps.

Addicted To Vise

Last edited by s fontinalis; 01-09-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:36 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

My first couple wound up in the trash can, so IMHO, you are doing much better than my start!!! I begin my 8-week tying class tonight, so hopefully, I'll be doing much better, soon!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-09-2012, 11:19 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I fished a bugger yesterday that I tied almost 10 years ago when I started tying flies. The fly is not proportioned correctly, but it caught three trout. Fish it proud.

Dennis
Old 01-09-2012, 01:24 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you thought the hackle on a WB was supposed to be soft or if your kit did not come with dry fly hackle, but the WB is tied with stiff hackle.

Charlie's Fly Box Wooly Bugger

The stiff hackle moves water rather than moving with the water as soft hackle does. So a the WB has an "acoustic footprint" that attracts trout. The purpose is to attract trout that can not see the fly, to turn to the source of the disturbance vs having the fly come into the fish's field of view like a traditional soft hackle.

Try it with stiff hackle. You'll get more fish.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Looks pretty clean to me! An old toothbrush with the bristles trimmed makes a great hackle/dubbing brush. Those colors say "I am a minnow, eat me!"

Maybe a bit of split shot ahead of it to make it dive this time of year, or a slow retriever in a lake?

Try some with cone heads, they look great and dive well.

Last edited by tbblom; 01-09-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: bcuz
Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Send you a video by PM of tying the woolly bugger. Hope it helps.
Do you have an IP address for that vid, S?

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky