The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tossing around an idea.

I was wondering what our members thought about a trip swapping idea. Some people here can't afford to do the fancy lodge or hotel thing and therefore are not able to fish some places they would like. If we had a trade a trip thing where one would allow someone to visit them and go fishing where they live, in exchange for the reverse. Say a guy in Florida who fishes the salt, could trade with a guy in Colorado who fishes for Trout. Both guys get to fish for something new on the cheap. Plus you get the benefit of a local expertise without paying a guide. What do you guys think? Is this a workable idea?
araitim likes this.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:26 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tossing around an idea.

I don't think it would hurt anything, at the same time I don't think that we would need to exchange. I would gladly show someone around my neck of the woods, seeing that I live in a small apartment I don't know that i could provide accomadations but it might be possible... Just provide a case o beer. I won't be doing much traveling do I won't expect anyone to feel like they have to take me in for a few days in return.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:38 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Yes it can be done, I've done it many times, but.....

I hosted such an angler ( supplied all local flies, lodging taken care of, all meals, licenses and ground transportation ) for a 2000 trip to the Sierras and valley rivers and Pyramid Lake Nevada, then I hosted the same angler again in 2002 for a similar trip. On the first trip he caught the Cutthroat of his lifetime and his first King Salmon on a fly. On the second he caught the Rainbow of his lifetime along with a many, many more fish. We still are friends, we still converse often, he hints around a lot about the possibility of his return. It’s 2012 and I’m still waiting?

We named a street out here after him. " One Way ".

Seriously though, other than that one guy who really is a friend, we host anglers here often, but not without knowing substantially more about them than is often revealed through typical internet chat and bulletin board postings.
Look at this way, if you wouldn’t pack up your favorite rod and reel and send it to that person without knowing if it would ever be returned in one piece, why would you invite them into your families home? Or meet up with them for a one on one pack in trip?…..Do I hear dueling banjo’s a playin’ around the campfire

It's one thing to be willing to play host, but it's not all that realistic to expect that life's twists and turns will always allow the other angler to reciprocate.

I'm willing to consider it. TT
Old 01-09-2012, 06:51 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I like dueling banjos, just not the squealing and begging that goes along with it.

Dave
Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

^^^^^

Had a good laugh on that last one. Poor Ned Beaty...
If anyone is staying around Boulder,CO, hit me up for a day on the creek. Can't offer lodging [without knowing you pretty well] but it would be good to meet others.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be more than happy to guide people looking to fish the saltwater beaches in the Cape Cod/ Rhode Island area.
I'm not much on lodges however. We camp out.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think it's a lot more workable if you loose the 'let 'em sleep on your couch' aspect?
Old 01-09-2012, 08:32 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

I think it sounds like a great idea just let me move out of my parents place.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Dan,

I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

I had a forum member here last July and he stayed in the loft where I am sitting as I write this. He had contacted me regarding his planned trip to Alaska and I had offered to take him fishing. We followed up by chatting on the telephone and then when he was here we met down in town before heading to the home here.

He (Dino Amato) was a very pleasant person and I believe he enjoyed his time out on the river with Nancy and I as well as we enjoyed showing him a little glimpse of our lifestyle. While it's possible to find yourself in an uncomfortable position when hosting a relative stranger, most of the members here who have reached out to me seem very normal as folk.

I would say that I would go somewhere to fish but with the weather here in winter it's best if I'm here to plow snow and keep the fire burning. Once the weather breaks it's kinda hard to think about leaving. By May I can start scratching up a few char and grayling. In June the trout are returning and the king salmon begin to show and I'm probably not going any farther from home than the river boat will take me

It was tough finding the fish on short notice but we managed to get into a few.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

He was pretty happy;

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-09-2012, 08:54 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

great idea dan
i'll see ya in may

ARFE