The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 12:36 AM

fishingguru is on a distinguished road
Default Is anyone here new to fly fishing?

I am, and have been practicing casting a lot in my backyard. I am not using real flies when I do this as i keep snapping them off. Is there a specific feel or something I am missing here? I've wasted at least a dozen hooks already trying to get this right.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 AM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is anyone here new to fly fishing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguru View Post
I am, and have been practicing casting a lot in my backyard. I am not using real flies when I do this as i keep snapping them off. Is there a specific feel or something I am missing here? I've wasted at least a dozen hooks already trying to get this right.
You're better off tying a piece of yarn than a hook for practicing. You're casting the line, not the fly. Which cast are you practicing? I would recommend that you start out with a Roll Cast.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
You're better off tying a piece of yarn than a hook for practicing. You're casting the line, not the fly. Which cast are you practicing? I would recommend that you start out with a Roll Cast.
Thanks for the tip, and I did start with the roll cast. I think maybe I'm not waiting long enough to send the line the other way. When I get it right, the weight of the line loads up on the rod for about half a second or so before I send it back out.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, rather than trying to address a casting issue at this time of night I'll link you to our fly casting forum. By searching down through the threads here > The Fly Cast - The North American Fly Fishing Forum you can find where almost every problem imaginable has been discussed.

Welcome,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 AM

Thanks Ard, glad to be here, and I'll check it out.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Good, I'm gonna hit the sack, I'll look for you tomorrow.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 AM

kibby is on a distinguished road

I'm not new to flyfishing, but I have had a 9-year layoff, so I feel virgin again.

I had to surf a lot of youtube to get up to speed again, and I am sure I will never get there, but the quest is fun.

These guys in here help me a lot.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:41 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum.

Dave
Old 01-10-2012, 05:43 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingguru View Post
I am not using real flies when I do this as i keep snapping them off.
Welcome to the forum!

Your header poses a relative question.

Your comment about snapping flies off your leader/tippet when you cast makes me think that you're not using a good knot to tie the flies on. There are also threads on this forum that talk about the type of knots to use to attach your flies. Take a look at them; I think they'll be helpful. A clinch knot or an improved clinch knot is a good starting point.

Pocono
Old 01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

As Pocono says it could be the knot-- especially if you get back a little pigtail in your mono -- a sure sign that a knot pulled out.

On the other hand if your hearing a crack the whip sound and/or your mono leader looks frayed after you lose a fly, it's probably a sign that you're not waiting long enough for the line to unroll and straighten before changing directions from back cast to forward cast (or vice versa). Don't worry we've all been there. Just remember, the more line you have in the air-- in other words the longer you are casting, the longer you have to wait for the line to straighten out before you change direction--

A couple things you could try that might help--

It's easier to see on the forward cast-- but make sure you're waiting for the line to straighten out in front of you before you start your back cast.

To help see the line on your backcast, try opening up your stance a little by turning your body to face the right (if you're a right handed caster)-- in other words your left shoulder will be closer to the forward cast, and the right shoulder closer to your backcast you see the line on your back cast and wait to see it unroll behind you before you start your forward cast-

A common mistake (especially a lot of us guys make), is to rush the forward cast in an effort to put a lot muscle and power into the forward cast to get distance-- instead try easing up on your stroke and let the rod do the work--
Smooth acceleration of your rod hand, followed by a sudden stop, pause for the line to straighten-- then smooth acceleration, sudden stop, pause etc.

If you concentrate on a smooth stroke and forget about trying to cast over the horizon, you'll probably find you'll be casting longer with less effort very soon. If you're casting on a lawn, use a 1"piece of yarn instead of a fly so you can follow it and try casting to targets you place 30-40 feet out -- gradually you'll be able to increase the distance-- just make sure you remember to leave plenty of room for your back cast too--- trees eat flies too.

Hope this helps a bit-- but keep asking questions in the fly casting sub forum-- we have some great instructors there that can help a great deal with specific suggestions.