The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 PM

lbz_2006 is on a distinguished road
Default New too forum semi new to fly fishing anyone willing to talk

Hi,

Names nick i am just looking for someone to talk to, ask questions give me tips, advice explain casts, when to use what flies, lines and rods. I know its a lot but i guess i kind of just bought a rod and reel line etc. and just casted i feel like i have a pretty good cast and a variation of casts just not sure if they are real or right haha. Anything would be great

THanks A lot!!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:26 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: New too forum semi new to fly fishing anyone willing to talk

Welcome! Most on this forum are "willing to talk", you just have to ask a specific question! I've been around for a couple of months now, and I can't begin to tell you how much I've learned here, so ask away!!!!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-10-2012, 02:35 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

just post a thread with a question and alot of very experienced people will answer remember specific questions elicit specific answers
Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 PM

lbz_2006 is on a distinguished road

haha thanks yeah thats good idk i guess i live in an area where fly fishing is entirely diferent then traditaional trout fly, im from wisconsin and nortchentral area. Yeah im from Merrill, WI and 15 minutes north we have the famous Prairie River accept they just shocked the water and found 3+ 40inch plus muskies so you can imagine what happend to the trout population. So the majority of fishing i have done is on lakes for blue gill, crappie, perch etc. Having never really paid much attention to river structure accept downed trees vegatation and rockpiles/drop offs. So i guess river reading i have no knowledge of and would like to become familiar with that before my trip to wyoming haha. and if anyone have a good say in st.croix avid vs. greys xf2 streamlight theyd both be four weights over 9 feet and used for nymphing...
Old 01-10-2012, 03:13 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Hi and welcome.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbz_2006 View Post
i am just looking for someone to talk to, ask questions give me tips, advice explain casts, when to use what flies, lines and rods.
THanks A lot!!!!
Well you found the right place. Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 PM

tamster321 will become famous soon enoughtamster321 will become famous soon enough

Hi, welcome to the forum Ibz! What do you want to know and I am sure someone will have some advise for you!! So much to learn!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 PM

hv2fish is on a distinguished road

Hey Tam. go pack!!! Im self taught too. Ive been an addict for about ten yrs now. It takes time youll figure it all out. read lots of books, and watch experienced anglers.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome ibz
it sounds like you have allot of good questions covering a wide variety of subjects.
as far as the goodies that you have access to here, i would say that you hit the mother load

casey

ARFE
Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Nick: Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing. Check out YouTube, it has lots of videos on fly fishing. Here is one on reading the water on a stream:
Here is another one:
Here is another:
Here is another: