The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 04:54 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker
Default Hardy Zenith or Sage One?

I'm trading in my Scott S4's (9'6" 6wt and 9'0" 4wt). I'm stranded as to which rod would be better for my style of fishing. This year we will be buying a raft to fish from and I plan on fishing streamers with my 6 wt, but want my 4wt to fill in for my medium to small streams and high mountain lakes. I'm thinking 9'6" in both a 4 and 6 Sage One but like the reviews of the Zenith, just that no one around here has one. Opinions?

Btw I live on the east slope of Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hardy Zenith or Sage One?

I would had recommended for you to go to the Denver International Sportsmen's Expo, but that already happened.

I found the Sage to be a better close in rod especially in the lighter weight models. It tracked more accurately at distances within 30 feet.

The Zenith was fairly accurate close in, but it excelled at distance. When I want to throw a streamer 60 feet, my casts landed dead on consistently. The Sage can do it also, but I felt more comfortable with the Zenith.

If I had to make a choice, I would choose the Sage One in the four weight and the Hardy Zenith in the six weight.

Dennis
Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Having only held the sage, i have nothign bad to say to say about it at all... when I touched it I thought I heard angels singing... then again it could have just been the radio.
rockriver likes this.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:59 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
If I had to make a choice, I would choose the Sage One in the four weight and the Hardy Zenith in the six weight.

Dennis
If you're going to go with two rods, then I agree with MP. I have both rods and start building a 9'0" One 6 wt. this coming Sunday.

I like the Zenith a lot; it a very nice rod and is amazingly accurate at long distances.

A lot depends on how you cast, where you fish and the type of rod action that you like.

If I was going to spend the money for a high-end rod like the two that you're considering, I would definitely cast them side by side; on the water if you can find a local shop that will let you do that with one of their demos. That's the only way that you'll be really sure that you got the right one.

Of course, you can always buy them both......................

Pocono
Old 01-11-2012, 02:15 PM

riverandriptide7 is on a distinguished road

Lots of good responses here, I have fished both Not exact in size your thinking. Both rods are very accurate with excellent recovery. The Zenith has tremdous backbone but very sensative. I felt both were great in close as well as with distance. Its amazing what these rod companies are doing with technology.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:24 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough

I had a chance to cast the Zenith, NRX, and "ONE" today while it was snowing out. All three were 6 weights in a 9'.

The "ONE" felt heavy, stiff, and short.

The Zenith felt like a mix between the S4 and "ONE" as far as flex, but felt lite in the hand comfortable. I didnt feel like I had to push the rod to cast, it just went, and the line laid out VERY nice.

The NRX felt lite in hand and had the same flex as the Zentih, but I felt like I had to put some umph into the NRX to cast as it felt lighter then the Zenith.

I casted the Zenith NOTICEABLY better than any other rod, and it felt so much easier to cast. While the Zenith and NRX are noted as fast action rods, they flex a whole lot more like a medium fast action.

How much will adding a weighted fly to the rods change how they cast or can I make my decision from casting an empty GPX on these rods?

I'm glad I casted these because I was 95% for the Sage ONE, but now I'm 100% for the Zenith. Just wish they weren't made in Korea.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:37 PM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light

I had an opportunity to fish the One 4wt on a guided trip in your neck of the woods (the Big T out of Ft. Collins). I like that it's action was fast and very close to what I enjoy about my TXL's. The weight and balance, as paired with a Lamson Litespeed 2, was very impressive.

I'm not God's gift to casting, but I did notice less torsional flex and more confidence in hitting my marks. Where I felt the rod stood out was in the sensitivity. I could detect subtle takes vs bumps on the bottom, set the hook, and have enough backbone to keep it out of 350cfs water.

At $720, it's a dream for me- at least for a while.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:15 PM

maccadon3000 will become famous soon enoughmaccadon3000 will become famous soon enough

It's funny, I had this EXACT same decision to make about three weeks ago. I was deciding, after a successful fantasy football season(thank you Matt Stafford, Arian Foster and Rob Gronkowski), how I was going to spend my winnings. I read the 5 wt shoot out reviews on YeLlowstone Anglers website. I've always fished Sage SPs but felt it was time for some new rod technology, so my choices were the One, Zenith and Z Axis in a 5 wt 9'0". I did copious amounts of research on all three, but was only able to cast the One at my local shop. As soon as I cast it, I was in love. I was effortlessly casting 60 ft like never before. With my SP, I would have to put in a little work to maintain the line, but with the One, it really MAKES you have to relax and let the rod do the work, otherwise, someone may find it too stiff. There is tremendous feeling in the tip section and AMAZING power in the arse end of it. Yes you can throw 70 ft easy with it, but up close is where this rod excels. It is by far the most amazingly accurate casting rod I've ever cast inside 30 ft. There is absolutely no lateral movement in the tip, it seems, when you cast, so wherever your rod tip goes, so does your fly. Now, that being said. I was a casting like a champ without a fly, but when I got on the water, I had a little more difficulty with a big, weighted fly. My wife asked whether I liked the rod. My answer was, "it will take some practice getting used to, but there are times where I can see it is worth figuring it out because it does things that are simply mind boggling". One thing I noticed about it, it is so light, I enjoyed using my Ross evolution rather than my F1 reel with it. I felt I was able to keep the rod positioned straighter with a lighter reel, which matters due to the lack of lateral movement in the tip section. Just my amateur. 02 .
Old 01-12-2012, 11:42 AM

throssing is on a distinguished road

Hypobaricstalker

I was in similar situation to you, "needing" a new 4 weight rod, but not knowing which one to buy. My choices narrowed down to the Sage One, the Hardy Zenith, and a Sage Z-axis. I bought all three (I got great deals)
in a 9 ft length so I could cast them in the back yard on multiple occasions and make a good decision about which one (or two) to keep. I will sell one (or two) for what I paid for it (them) in the spring.

I have now cast them about 4 times, and have formed some tentative opinions which I will share with you, for what they are worth.

Both the One and the Zenith felt a lot lighter than the Z-axis, although all three are a joy to cast. I think that my casts were longer and more accurate with the Zenith, and the One was slightly better than the Z-axis in this regard. The Z-axis is not quite as "fast" as the others.

I believe that I could learn to love any of them, and couldn't go wrong keeping any of them, but my overall preference is the Zenith, followed by the One, followed by the Z-axis. The fact that the Zenith is available at a lower price reinforces my preference for it. The Z-axis is now available on closeout for about half of the list price of the One, and is an excellent bargain and an excellent rod. The Sage warranty seems better than the Hardy warranty.

If I don't change my mind after another comparative casting session or two, I am likely to keep the Zenith, and possibly also the Z-axis which has an action that I like for fishing dry flies. Someone will probably get a good deal on the One in a few weeks.

I live about an hour north of Denver, and would be happy to have you visit and participate in my comparative rod testing if it would help in your decision making.

Tom
Old 01-12-2012, 08:43 PM

Tom, it sounds like we should hang out sometime. I'm probably pretty close to you since I live in Boulder. I'll send you a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk