The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 01:55 AM

dusty h is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Who are the best all around flyfisherman/fisherman in the world?

Its hard to really say who the best are as im sure there are plenty of unknowns who just fish for themselves but if I have to throw some names out there I will say Brian O'Keefe/Todd Moen and the combination of fishing and content they put out. All of their videos get me excited to go out fishing and i really enjoy all the hard work they put into putting out quality content.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:10 AM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I always say me. Then, I usually knock myself off of the list within 5 seconds of fishing.

Lefty Kreh has been a big influence on me. He's one heck of a fisherman and caster.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:05 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboz View Post
The greatest are men and women who can fish any body of water be it river , lake , ocean , bay or puddle with knowledge and confidence. They do not need a boat or a guide or an ultra expensive stick. They have the ability to read the water , spot the fish and the talent to understand the habitat each species live and what turns them on. With the knowledge theyve acquired over years of hard casting they rarely fail to connect. They are humble and helpful to fellow anglers and they are few and far in between. Having had the honor of meeting several of these great ones over the years I would like to hear from others opinions on what makes a great one and what they were like.
Whether it be a river, lake, ocean, bay or puddle. If you stick with this site long enough I think your answer will be found... Right here. The men/women replying to questions asked.

Dave
Old 01-11-2012, 07:12 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My buddy can catch a fish in a puddle of spit, but I vote for this guy

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:40 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Wow! Finally a question that I can answer with 100% accuracy!!!

And the answer is: NOT ME!!!!!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Oh, and a big mustache helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
must the best fisherman have a mustache...a beard ...or both
Any and all facial hair is a requirement. The "stash" can help fend off the gnats flying into the shnoz and mouth while the beard can act as a drying patch. The combination can also act as camoflauge, a good gnarly beard can also act as a deterant against low/high holers as well as provide winging material in a pinch. All kidding aside the greatest fisherman are the ones having the most fun and tend not to care too much about it.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post

Tarpon bow to him.

He is the most interesting fly fisherman in the world.

Stay thirsty, my friend.
Now that was funny, TT
Old 01-11-2012, 10:14 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

The best may not be a fisherman....eg. Joan Wolf

I know a few good female fly fisher's and thier approach, tack and handling of each situation is facinating, deadly and if I think about it too much...a little scary.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:23 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

The shop guys at Rocky Mtn. Anglers are all pretty accomplished, but they are willing to share tying knowledge, what flies to use, and where to go (within reason!). They have helped me out a lot with some very subtle hints, and they will help a total noob to learn a few tricks and catch more fish.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
All kidding aside the greatest fisherman are the ones having the most fun and tend not to care too much about it.
That is a well placed thought WT!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;