The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 09:14 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough
Default Have you ever broke a rod? How's Montana?

Hello,
For a little background info, I plan on attending the University of Montana for 4 years in Missoula. The only reason I want to live in Missoula is because of the mountains, snow, fly fishing, and all that good stuff. I have heard many good things about the college as well. So, feel free to share any info/stories about the rivers (and creeks especially).

Also, have you every broke a rod fighting a fish to big?

I really enjoy fishing with light rods. I have never broke a rod. What if I were to fish my 3wt and a 16-18 incher got on. Could it brake? Could I stress the fish out too much, because it might take longer to get in?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Have you ever broke a rod? How's Montana?

There was a great discussion a few days ago about broken rods. Basically, the lesson from the dscussion and the videos was that if it breaks at the tip, it's either because the fly hit it on the cast, or just mishandling. If it breaks at or just above the grip, it's because it was overstressed with weight. I'll see if I can find that discssion for you.....

Can't help on the Montana portion of your question, as I've never been there (yet!).

Easier to find than I thought! Look over this discussion and watch the video!

Fly rod line rating, power, and action - an explanation.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-12-2012, 10:05 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

That video is great! I watched it when following that thread.

Icicle - Montana is great, Missoula is a great place to go to live and go to school. I'm not going to give away any secrets if you're moving here for 4 years. You'll have plenty of time to figure it out for yourself!
Old 01-12-2012, 10:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclecreek View Post
Also, have you every broke a rod fighting a fish to big?

Thanks!
Any time you break a rod and it's not a defect in the blank, it's operator error. If you get a giant fish on a light rod just don't allow the rod to overflex. You break the rod, not the fish. The fish only gives you something solid enough to overflex the rod on.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

I have broken several rods since I started fly fishing in 1971. Rather than give a litany of every one I have broken let me say just this please. I did have one break from a defect in the blank. The manufacturer was great about replacing it.

Okay, all of the rest of them were from my bloody mistakes. I believe that would be 6 rods; it might be 7. It is WAY too much to tell every story. Plus it is embarrassing. Heck once I broke two rods in the same day. (I have pictures.) Here is the good news. All of the rods that I broke after the one that was from manufacturer defect were St. Croix rods. They were wonderful about replacing them, simply wonderful. I couldn't ask for better warranty and customer service.

A rod without manufactuer defect certainly can be broken by a fish. There are just so many variables here. You are not going to break a 3 weight on an 18 inch fish. If the fish is in heavy current or in the weeds that will change the picture. Still the leader is likely to break first.

IcecicleCreek? Hmmm... That sounds like it might be near Leavenworth in WA. That is a beautiful area. Still, you will love Montana.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 01-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Montana is a very beautiful state and there are innumerable fishing opportunities there. As far as breaking rods I have tried to gather information on the usual suspects when rods are broken with the thread here. http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...ory-added.html

I have had a lot of large fish grab my flies while fishing for trout and char here. I don't let it bother me when it happens and I handle the fish as if it's hooked on a light rod. If you have ever broken a rod please take a few seconds and check the poll.

Thanks,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-12-2012, 11:18 PM

iciclecreek will become famous soon enoughiciclecreek will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp1 View Post
... Still the leader is likely to break first.

IcecicleCreek? Hmmm... That sounds like it might be near Leavenworth in WA. That is a beautiful area. Still, you will love Montana.
Thanks for the post everyone. I wanted to emphasize a certain qeustion though. I don't care much about a rod (warrenty covers it), unless It was one I built. It is the fish I worry about. What is your guys take on;
1)taking time to not brake a tippit/not lose fish AND possibly stressing the fish too much

OR

2)Bring the fish in with "correct" WT rod and fast but risk losing fish.

And yes it run through Leavenworth
Old 01-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrp1 View Post

A rod without manufactuer defect certainly can be broken by a fish. .
I have to disagree with you here. The only way to do it is by overflexing the rod. The fish does not control how much the rod is flexed, you do. Do not bend them into a U and they will not break. I have caught some really big fish on really light rods. I have never broken one. When a big fish takes off on you, just point the rod more at the fish. You control how much the rod is bent because you are holding it. If the rod breaks it's because you bent the rod to far. You are the one holding it, not the fish. This was on a 5 wt. rod. There was no chance it would break the rod, because I control how much the rod is bent, not the fish.
Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclecreek View Post
I wanted to emphasize a certain qeustion though. ;
1)taking time to not brake a tippit/not lose fish AND possibly stressing the fish too much

OR

2)Bring the fish in with "correct" WT rod and fast but risk losing fish.
You don't always get the fish you plan on, the Pike was while I was Smallmouth fishing. So thinking you can always plan it is not going to work. As for stressing a fish a lot of variables come into play. The species of fish, some are tougher than Chuck Norris, while others are sissy fish that drop dead if you look at them the wrong way. Water temperatures also are a factor. What will kill a fish in 60 degree water may not phase them in 38 degree water. I generally don't use real light tippets so the rod is not that huge a factor. If you point the rod straight at a fish, the rod is out of the equation. At that point it's all on the tippet.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that all my broken rods were user error. With that said, graphite rods are very resilient. A three weight can handle a 16 to 18 inch (or bigger) fish as long as the user fights the fish skillfully. Keep in mind that there are other factors that play in landing a larger fish like water speed, depth, snags, hungry river otters, etc...

Dennis
Old 01-13-2012, 12:40 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i have broken two
first one was about 15 years ago when i accidentally stepped on the tip.
secon happened last week as i was putting one of my 4 weight back into its sock.
there have been numerous close calls as well

casey

ARFE