The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default short vs long rods

Buying a new 5wt rod and due to the horrible weather we're getting today I have too much time to think.

After mentally reviewing my list of favorite rods based on casting performance and versatility I realized all of them are relatively short. The longest is 8'6" and a 6'6" is the shortest on my "favorites" list.

I ordered a 6'6" 5wt Hardy Grey's GRXi+ to fill the missing hole in my rod rack based on my previous experience & satisfaction with short rods.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:13 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: short vs long rods

I hear you on the weather thing, it figures too the one day I have no Honey-Do's it blowing half a gale with lake effect! I've become so used to rods around 7'6 to 7'9 I picked up a 9' footer the other day and it felt weird at first, I haven't messed around with my 11' switch alot this year and I'm almost dreading it. I know its going to feel like the Eiffel Tower at first but by the end of the day I get used to the extra length.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:32 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

First thing to understand about my fishing style

1) I predominantly fish small to midsze streams / rivers

2) 99% of the time if I am looking at a 50+ foot cast I generally walk / sneak 10-20 feet closer and make it a shorter cast

Of the 10 rods I own , 3 of them are over 8' . And one of these three is the only one that isnt a virgin rod, and that one gets used once a year on a trip to North Park colorado hitting some fairly open water.

I dont find that sub 8' rods limit my ability to cast effectively. I can hit a decent sized target at 50'-60' feet with my TXL 3WT, I just usually choose not to. I have a 7'0" 3WT that I amcomfortable in the 40' cast range but again I typically choose to not cast that far if at all possible
Old 01-13-2012, 12:35 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

I fished freshwater on small rivers, brooks and ponds with 7 1/2' rods mainly, moving to 8 or 8 1/2' for bass and big rivers. Much easies to tromp through the puckerbrush and fish smaller waters with a short rod.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:17 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I have a mixture of rod sizes and like the longer rods not just for distance but for line control when fishing close. Nothing mends line like a long rod.
The longer rod I can get away with the better, for my uses anyhow.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:35 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Interesting to see the 9' standard kind of fall by the wayside the last few years. I'm looking for a 10' rod for nymphing bigger waters and should perhaps be thinking of a switch...and at the same time have a 6'6" 2 wt I love and just ordered a 6'6" featherlite for a friend, just so I can try it out. 9' rods are versatile for most kinds of fishing, but maybe not optimum for specific purposes...whatever floats your boat

-m
Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

It sounds like you have a nice rod on the way Mike, be sure to remember to let the group know how it works as soon as you can try it out. Like the others I have rods of different legnths and like them all at the right place and time.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

If your sole purpose for a longer rod is to get more distance then you will probably be disappointed. I use 10ft 4wt when nymphing but not for a longer cast. It's easier to high stick with a longer rod, drifts and roll casts are a little easier for me with a 10' rod. Unless your talking about twohanded rods more length doesn't necessarily mean longer casts.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:08 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
more length doesn't necessarily mean longer casts.
But it sure makes that task easier. It has something to do with using a longer lever.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:21 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
But it sure makes that task easier. It has something to do with using a longer lever.
It does but I actually have trouble casting a 10' single handed rod. You have to shorten your stroke considerably to cast it well. Because it's a lever an inch shorter stroke at the reel multiplies at the tip. I have trouble adjusting my stroke to throw a 10' rod.