The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2007, 08:38 AM

Jim Abbott is on a distinguished road
Default My fly rod has siezed at the ferrule joint

Can anyone help! My 2 pc St. Croix rod has siezed at the ferrule joint. I do not think it is from debris since I clean it before putting it together. Most likely, the butt end got bumped on the ground while rigging up (take note guys). I have already tried the obvious - I bought a new rod - and tried heat on the female end and ice on the male end after I put penetrating oil on the joint in hopes that it would wick into the joint - no luck? Any suggestions would help. Also, the plastic insert of my stripping guide has been destroyed - any idea what I should expect to pay to have it replaced?

Thanks - FISH ON!
Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 AM

Jim Abbott is on a distinguished road
Default How do I get my siezed up rod apart?

My 2 pc. 6 wt St. Croix fly rod has siezed at the ferrule joint and if anyone has a suggestion as to how I can get it apart I would appreciate it.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: My fly rod has seized at the ferrule joint

Hi Jim,

Here are a couple of thoughts. First, make sure when you are pulling apart that the force is in line with the center of the rod. There is a tendency to bend the rod slightly as you are pulling. Here is an old time solution that we used when rods had metal ferrules. Place the rod behind your kneecaps and bend down at the knees into a stoop. Place a hand on each side of the ferrule and your thumbs touching your kneecaps. Now spread your knees apart while holding onto the rod and your knees will pull your hands apart. If you do it in a straight line you should pop it out. If you hands slip get two pieces of rubber inner tube or some such thing that will give you a good grip on the rod. This procedure has worked for me and is something you can do in the field.

Since you have a damaged guide I guess it is too late to tell you not to pull on the guides. It is not a big job to replace a guide and you could do it yourself if you are handy with your hands. If you live in a city there is probably someone in town that builds rods. Ask at your local fly shop.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:52 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: My fly rod has siezed at the ferrule joint

My St. Croix 2 pc seized up as well awhile back. I sprayed WD-40 down and around the joint in hopes it would penetrate. I fianlly went to Wal-Mart and bought some of those circular rubber grippers that are used to open jars. With gentle pressure I was finally able to pull them apart. Those rubber grippers gave me the torque I needed without puling on the guides. Hope it helps!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:53 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

My St. Croix 2 pc seized up as well awhile back. I sprayed WD-40 down and around the joint in hopes it would penetrate. I finally went to Wal-Mart and bought some of those circular rubber grippers that are used to open jars. With gentle pressure I was finally able to pull them apart. Those rubber grippers gave me the torque I needed without puling on the guides. Hope it helps!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:54 AM

Sorry about the double reply! My mistake!
Old 07-30-2007, 11:24 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I only had one rod seize and that was because I left a four piece connected into two pieces for a season. It was my T3. I just put a bag of ice on the connection for about 15 minutes and it came apart.
Where you guide is messed up anyway, why not send it back. SC has a good warranty don't they? Having someone replace it for you might not be in the warranty.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:09 PM

Flyinsalt is on a distinguished road

Try using two rubber pieces as are used to open lids on jars to pull the pieces apart, if the other suggestions don't work.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:18 PM

steelhed is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do I get my siezed up rod apart?

I suggest first putting on a pair of rubber gloves and twisting as close to the joint as you can. If this doesn't work, try applying a light penetrating oil, like the 3 in 1 brand, and positioning the rod so gravity will pull the oil into the joint and letting it sit overnight, then trying the gloved twist again. If these don't work, try wrapping a piece of damp leather around the rod, just above the joint, and gripping the rod thru the leather with a pair of pliers...be careful not to "bite" thru or crush the rod, use just enough squeezing pressure to turn the rod section.

I have 2 St Croix rods and like them very much, and I have been thru your ordeal. I always rub my finger in the crease of my nose and lube the male joint section before putting my rods together, it's just slick enough to make it easy to get apart without having to carry a lube supply or worrying about having it come apart during a cast.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-30-2007, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: How do I get my siezed up rod apart?

An old trick, is to grasp the rod near the ferrule holding it paralell to the ground behind your knees. Don't tug with your arms, just hold the rod firmly, and spread your knees apart to separate the rod pieces.

I can't say that it'll work better than donning rubber gloves, but I would try it before applying oil to the joint, since that might never come all the way off and cause other problems down the road.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.