The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By puravida

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 04:50 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Costa Rica Fishing

I am heading to Costa Rica next month for my daughters destination wedding. She loves spending Daddy's money. The wedding is at a resort located in the interior so I was planning to head to the coast to do a little fishing but decided to just stay in the area after the wedding and relax. Other reason is that I fond out that there is some pretty good fishing is Lake Arenal fishing for Rainbow Bass and Machaka. So today I booked two days today with a guide. He recommended I bring a few Fat Alberts and Chernobyl ants. Called Fly fishing Specialties today and placed my order. If anyone has fished the area and has any suggestions let me know.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:33 AM

marylawrence is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Costa Rica Fishing

I agree..Costa Rica is an ideal place for fishing and surfing..as it is rich with all coastal regions.Specifically salt water fishing is more famous.

family vacation costa rica
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Costa Rica offers an incredible variety of fishing. The Caribean Coast offers primarily Tarpon and Snook. There are no flats to wade-fish, and the water is relatively deep. The water can be clear out past the mouths of the rivers, or beyond the "mushroom" as its called. In the Rivers, like the Rio Colorado its very muddy and tanic. Fishing here is done from lodges or resorts, as access is very limited due to the rain forest abutting the beach. Generally, you must get to these areas via boat or plane. The plane ride from San Jose is only approx. 25 minutes.

In the mountains, or "cloud forest" area at approx. 8000 feet above sea level there is a lovely eco-lodge called Trogon. Its primarily for bird watching, but it holds a secret gem. there is a beautiful free stone steam that has a good population of Rainbow Trout. Local lore says they were introduced by the vacationing supervisors building the Panama Canal.

On the Pacific Coast, there are Roosters, Sails, and other pelagic species. Here fishing is done by hiring boats out of Marina's, and lodging is mostly via hotels. there are most assuredly some famous Lodges on this Coast, especially in the Crocodile Bay Area.

A cople pieces of advice: 1. If you are planning on taking your own tackle, interior species like the Rainbow bass, etc., are perfect for a 6wt. If you venture more towards the shores, you will definitely want bigger tackle. The Common Snook there can get huge, wuth 40 to 50 pounds not out of the question, but the more commonly caught Fat Snook run considerably smaller...say 5 to 10 pounds. I know many fishermen here tackle Tarpon with 10wt rods, but after 16 years of experience, take a 14wt. the Tarpon in CR average MUCH bigger than Florida, Belize, or most other places.

If you want, you can get more information from my website 4 Points International Fishing Home

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:12 PM

puravida is on a distinguished road

I haven't fished the Lake Arenal area, but I have fished the Rio Sevegre near Cartago. It is teeming with trout. Most are small, but I have caught a few 13-15 inchers in the deeper pools and have spotted some bigger than that.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:56 PM

puravida is on a distinguished road

Here are couple of photos of the upper part of Rio Savegre, near San Gerado de Dota, Costa Rica.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

If you follow the trail down the river toward the waterfall there are deeper pools with bigger trout.
mcnerney, mrfzx and cpiercem like this.