The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 PM

rschreck will become famous soon enoughrschreck will become famous soon enough
Default Upgrading already....

So last year I started a thread asking for suggestions on a rod and reel as a complete beginner. I ended up buying a rod and reel from Orvis and it did it's job...I'm addicted and know how to cast (using the term know lightly).

Well less than a year later, the Orvis set up is soon to be passed on and I am moving on up.

My new question: Has anyone casted the Scott A4 yet? I've heard it would be a great rod for the fishing here in Colorado. I'm thinking a 9', 5wt A4 with most likely an Nautilus reel.

Pretty sure it'll be a great set up but I'm open to suggestions. As for budget, I'm pretty set on no more than $700 for rod and reel. It would be more but I am also hellbent on trying out Tenkara fishing so I have money set aside for that too.

I appreciate any help.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Upgrading already....

If it aint broke don't fix it.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:11 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I can't comment on the Scott or the Nautilus but it sounds like a winning combo! Congrats on the move up; it's great to be able to feed the addiction
Old 01-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I haven't ever had either of those items so can't help but................ While I know the 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' angle well, passing the rod to a family member or friend is a good gesture, one that I have done myself. Getting a new rig when you think you will expand your ability with it is also a worthy thing. I think what WT may be thinking is that if you like it why change. I see life from both sides and agree with upgrades and old stuff as well when it comes to fishing gear.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

So my question would be what did you buy last year as far as length and line wt?

Being a fellow Colorado fly fisherman the biggest question is where are you going to fish? If you are hitting the S Platte , Cheesman Deckers are then the Scott 5 or 6wt would be good. But if I had to choose one rod for the rest of the state for $700 Rod/Reel combo. I would think you could have a great rod for everything from small streams to the Gore River, Poudre, North Park area with a good 8' 4wt. An 8 foot rod is good in tight areas but you will not lack for power if you need to get 50 to 60' casts. You can also mend the line "OK" with a 8' rod. A 4wt will allow you to throw size 20 dries nicely or a hopper / dropper set up.

Ive heard good things about the Winston VSL, you could add line and a nice Ross Evolution reel and stay on budget. Or spend a tad more on the rod and get a Sage VXP with a Lamson Guru reel would be a sweet setup.

**Shameless plug time**

I have never been steered wrong by the guys at Front Range Anglers in Boulder. They will spend all the time in the world with you. This is crazy but they actually ask you about how you fish then make recomendations. They dont sell you "what they fish"

My all around everywhere rod is a Sage TXL 4710-3 paired with a Ross Evolution 2 and it is sweet. I have the same setup in a 3wt and 9/10 times I grab the 4wt.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

For smaller mountain streams I love my 7'6" 3wt, could expand the arsenal rather than replacing.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi rschreck,

No experience with the A4 myself. If I was in your shoes here is what I would do. Doesn't mean it works for you.

The Nautilus is one of my favorite reels and a great choice. But, I would get an Allen Trout 5/6 and use the money I saved to move up to a higher grade rod. The Nautilus won't do anything better for Colorado fishing than the Allen reel. Pick the best rod you can buy with your budget and keep it the rest of your life. Then if you decide you want to splurge on a higher grade reel do that the next time you have the money. I have always found that putting my money in the rod was a good long term investment in my enjoyment of fly fishing.

Frank
Old 01-14-2012, 12:05 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi rschreck,

No experience with the A4 myself. If I was in your shoes here is what I would do. Doesn't mean it works for you.

The Nautilus is one of my favorite reels and a great choice. But, I would get an Allen Trout 5/6 and use the money I saved to move up to a higher grade rod. The Nautilus won't do anything better for Colorado fishing than the Allen reel. Pick the best rod you can buy with your budget and keep it the rest of your life. Then if you decide you want to splurge on a higher grade reel do that the next time you have the money. I have always found that putting my money in the rod was a good long term investment in my enjoyment of fly fishing.

Frank

Very true, unless here in Colorado you go chase hogs up the S.Platte or up to Grey Reef for the most part a reel is a line holder and if the fsh does get in to the drag, it is for a brief moment and you dont "rely" on the drag to land the fish.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:28 PM

rschreck will become famous soon enoughrschreck will become famous soon enough

The main reason I bought the rod and reel that I did was because everyone told me a 9', 5wt was the goto rod.

I've only fished in two areas since buying it: RMNP and Eleven Mile Canyon. Hoping to get out more this spring/summer/fall.

I've read somewhere, possibly on here, that it is best to spend as much as you can on a rod. I will look into other Scott rods. I'm pretty much set on Scott rods mainly because 1) I used to live in that area so it's supporting a "local" company and 2) handmade, in the good ole US of A.

I will check out the Allen reels.

Thanks for the help gentlemen. It is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:44 PM

Awesome so you have 11 Mile covered with your 5wt

I pretty much live in RMNP from May-Sep fishing. That Scott A4 in a 7'6" 3wt would be really good for all the streams in the park. The only place I struggle with my 3wt is trying to get more than 30' out with a size 14 weighted nymph or so but it is do-able, I am just not a "patient" caster.

If you really want to have some fun go see Brian up at the Elkhorn shop in Loveland and get a 7' Traveler 1WT........ run about 12' of 6X leader and tie on a size 18 Parachute Adams anytime after August and get ready for some serious fun.

If you get that Allen reel get a spare spool so you can throw that on the 1WT too