The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:04 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Generating Again

Got up early once more in hopes of no water being released... I think it's worse than being froze up for the winter. At least there is a calming certainty knowing you cannot fish as opposed to high hopes and having them crushed before first light.

Dave
Old 01-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Generating Again

Can you get some sort of a schedule for power generation from who ever is in charge? Or is generation dictated only by demand?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-14-2012, 03:32 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Ugh... Those damn dams... On my previous assignment in my agency, I used to have to get involved with an almost annual 5-way battle between the power generator (who owned the dam and had deeded water rights dating back to the 1700's,) the local floodplain manager, landowners upstream and downstream, whose effective dock height depended on water level, a local water authority who claimed "rights" to any water in a three-county region, and the downstream fishing community.... It was NEVER a pretty fight! We finally got the power generator to post anticipated release times on their website, and got them to install a warning horn so that downstream recreational users could modify what they were doing (wading, swimming, boating, etc.) in antcipation of a release.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-14-2012, 06:13 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

It shouldn't take much to keep those affected reasonably happy. An accurate and predictable release schedule and getting rid of any local authorities who think they know whats best. Dock builders should just get over it, better yet outlaw the stupid things. There are stretches here that have one dock after another on both sides of the river and if you drift to close they act as though you are trespassing.

Oh yeah, just as soon as I got to the river today up came the generation...

Dave

---------- Post added at 05:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Can you get some sort of a schedule for power generation from who ever is in charge? Or is generation dictated only by demand?
They have a schedule, but very inaccurate. Supposed to generate all day but I have learned to keep a close watch for sudden shut downs. Today they shut down and I went flying out the door, only to step out of my pickup to the sound of the horn going off...

The one thing you count on from the government, uhh, uhh, maybe I will come up with something later.

Dave
Old 01-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to remember if it's the White River or Red that you fish?

Where does the power they generate go? Dallas/Ft Worth?

What type of flows do they have @ none generation -vs- low/high generation periods?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 01-14-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
I'm trying to remember if it's the White River or Red that you fish?

Where does the power they generate go? Dallas/Ft Worth?

What type of flows do they have @ none generation -vs- low/high generation periods?
I fish the Red and believe the power goes to Memphis. Generating cfs is 3000 to 6700, non generating is 20 cfs or maybe a little higher. The aggravation comes from the poorly updated schedule but that is to be expected from anything the government has control over. But hey...That's tail water fishing.

Dave
Old 01-15-2012, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator

I was thinking it was a bit larger flow, even with what flows you have and where it drops as low as 20cfs......I'm surprised those fish are ever on the bite.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Don't worry it also over here as they advise people every day in The Evening News The Releases from each Dam for that day.
Most of The water is for Irrigation as there is only a few Hydro Electric Systems.