The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default One of those "REALLY" days

Ever had one of those? I am on the Provo this morning and beautiful morning it was. No wind (yet) and warm for this time of year.
Sun came out and I saw fish rising, so, I tied on a snow midge and a WD40 dropper. Cast up and out and let it drift down. No weight so the WD is more an emerger subsurface. I see this nice brown head for it and BAM fis on.
I look over my shoulder at my Mojo who immediately turned on the Go Pro (haven't seen the footage yet).

Nice bend in the rod then I noticed something darting towards my fish! AN OTTER!!! The little bugger not only stole my fish but snapped me clean of and I lost both flies.
I stood there looking and saying out loud.."REALLY?!"

How about you folks?
Old 01-15-2012, 06:02 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: One of those "REALLY" days

That'd be a downer for sure...but what a story!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joni: I feel your pain! I never had anything like that happen to me, hope Mojo got some good footage.

Larry
Old 01-15-2012, 08:03 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Nature at work.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:36 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future

The town of Honesdale every year tags and releases a number of fish in the Lackawaxen River. The tags each represent a cash prize. While fishing a quiet stretch of the Lax just outside of town I spot these two golden rainbows holding behind a rock in two feet of water. And sticking out of one clear as day is a tag! Every pattern I throw gets rejected. Finally knowing they were recently stocked I give them the closest fly to a pellet I can find an olive beadhead. Bam! Money Fish On! several runs upstream and suddenly he gains weight. Fishing into the sun can't see him but I know he's there and either I picked up debris on my leader or this fish gained some pounds. As he starts to come in the problem becomes obvious, an otter smaller than my trout is wrapped around him! Ok Mr Otter you can have him just let me get the tag please. Not happening. That little fur ball twisted and turned and sent me back my beadhead. Hope the tag gets stuck in your teeth.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I am talkin' about....LOL That is definitly too bad, this was no trophy Brown and I had caught others, but this one did have shoulders. Guess the Otter was very hungry.

Another "REALLY" for me. I went to a local pond to try some new flies and visit with a friend that is limited as to where he can fish.
Pond is half iced over, so, I am casting out to the ice and a slight tug to have it drop off the ice into the soft water. I did this twice and off to the left, I saw something black about the size of a baseball cap floating. I kept looking but I was casting a good 30' off to the right of it. Is it drift wood? I kept trying to focus when bam, fish on. I started stripping line in and hummm, the black thing is now moving...towards me! I would strip, it moved closer, I paused and it started to go back out.
Well, curiosity was killing me by now, so I started muscling. 20' out...OH!!! It is a dead loon wrapped in fishing line, what is that underneath it? My catch, a cat fish! And a very good sized one at 24+" I got the fish to the shore to get a good look and it had a lure in it's mouth inwhich the loon was also attached.
I reached down to cut the line and remember I said Muscling....I was using 5X. BING! He snapped me off and took off to the deep dragging his Loon buddy.
I stood there scratching my head.....REALLY?!
Old 01-16-2012, 02:25 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

A couple of years ago, in September, our regular salmon camp bunch was fishing the Miramichi. I had a bunch of a fly, the Sneaky, in size 10 that became THE fly of the week. On the second to the last evening, one of the ladies in the group was fishing below me...and she had the last Sneaky I had tied on. Suddenly I realized a beaver was swimming right into her swing. I called out, "watch out for that beaver!" Her response was, "A Beaver, REALLY?" As I watched the beaver swim into the line, get hooked on the last Sneaky in camp and head downriver with it as she broke him off, I replied, "Really."
Gary
Old 01-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Depending on how the video comes out, that may be a more than fair trade with the Otter. I can't wait to see it. Let us know when it's movie time.

That Loon story really was a weird one.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:02 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Both those stories are wild, I don't have any fish theft experiences but I am planing on using one of these as an excuse next time I get skunked, wife just isn't buying into my other excuses.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:32 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

We have a big seal problem where I fish and a bull grey seal can get up to as much as 600 pounds. That will make your drag sing.
They're very smart and will hide in the surf in your "blind spot" until you hook a fish and then make their move. They're quick and the more agressive ones have no problem following a landed fish right up onto the beach. Once they're out of the water though, they're not so confident and will back off. But still... a big wild animal charging you like that will wet your breathables from the inside out.
At one point this past summer I was out in my kayak and when I came up out of the deep water and crossed onto a shoal, around 45 heads popped up out of the water behind me , no longer able to follow.
They see a fishing pole and they're on you like white on rice.
The little ones are cute though and like to play.
I don't mind, we're in their world