The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM

hunter991 is on a distinguished road
Default more terminology ques...

Can anyone tell me or point me to something that explains line and rod terminology? stuff like 5x 8x etc...... i am not sure what line i should be buying or what to get for my first good setup. Just need to learn and unfortunately, no one i fish with fly fishes. We are musky fishermen up here.

I should mention, i will be fishing freshwater for panfish, trout, and bass. I currently have a cortland rod that i bought as a kit with line, reel etc..(5x). mostly Wisconsin lakes and streams. Just need to make sense out of it all.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:18 PM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: more terminology ques...

Leader Terminology is as follows:

Butt Section- The heaviest portion of the leader that attaches to the end of the fly line.

Mid Section- The portion of the leader forward of the Butt Section.

Tippet- The thinnest portion of a tapered leader.

There are also Bite or Shock Tippets which are used for toothy critters, but don't concern yourself with this tippet for your current application.

X designates the tippet strength. If you want to know the approximate strength of a tippet, subtract the X number from 9 to obtain the strength of the tippet. For example, a 5X leader subtracted from 9 equals 4 pounds test, and a 4X tippet subtracted from 9 equals 5 pounds test. These are all approximate, but pretty darn close.

Leaders come in different lengths (7-1/2', 9', etc.) for different applications. Also, the size and type of fly that you intend to use will have a direct relationship the size leader that you will want to use.

If you purchased your rod as a combo, you should have the correct fly line for your rod. I hope that this helps!
Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 PM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
Can anyone tell me or point me to something that explains line and rod terminology? stuff like 5x 8x etc...... i am not sure what line i should be buying or what to get for my first good setup. Just need to learn and unfortunately, no one i fish with fly fishes. We are musky fishermen up here.

I should mention, i will be fishing freshwater for panfish, trout, and bass. I currently have a cortland rod that i bought as a kit with line, reel etc..(5x). mostly Wisconsin lakes and streams. Just need to make sense out of it all.
Hunter you have crossed the Rubicon...flyfishing is an art form...as you are from that great state of the intellect...begin with books...joe brooks...wulf...kreh...the Xs are old timely.... it's tippet test..of the weakest link...for me it's salt water and 12-20 lb..but fresh it's 2-8 lb in 'consin...when you first have a six foot tarpon jump 12 feet from you...you are hooked forever to the fly rod...but before that...when any smallmouth jumps to your fly...you are somewhat hooked...now when you have been in the stream for hours with a 16 adams...and a "bow or brown(in the daylite)" 14" or better takes it...well...that evening lose the wisconsin cognac and taste neat high proof single...you are forever hooked...
Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
that evening lose the wisconsin cognac and taste neat high proof single...you are forever hooked...
Although I never developed a taste for brandy in Wisconsin, I still think brats should be boiled in onions and beer and then grilled
Old 08-28-2007, 12:10 PM

dogger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonStreams View Post
Although I never developed a taste for brandy in Wisconsin, I still think brats should be boiled in onions and beer and then grilled
Now I am hungry and thirsty.....thanks!

hmmmmmm....brats......ahhhhhh brandy

Making sense of the terminology is best done here on this forum, books or at fly shops, gander mountains or Cabela's. I found the later to be the best, find a time when the shops might be slower and ask away, they normally will tell you far more than you will need to know.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:32 PM

InsideSeam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
...no one i fish with fly fishes. We are musky fishermen up here.
Fly fishing for musky sounds interesting...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-28-2007, 08:03 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Cortland and Orvis should have some information on their website. You will just need to find the right link once you get on those. I found a website named troutlet.com that had some concise information on the correct fly lines with the right tippets, etc. Any local flyshop would also be happy to help you. Orvis also has a live chat room that you can talk to someone. Also Cabela's or Bass Pro or Gander Mountain personnel should be able to help you. Hope this helps!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-28-2007, 09:13 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

"..now when you have been in the stream for hours with a 16 adams...and a "bow or brown(in the daylite)" 14" or better takes it..."

Just wait until a nice 'bow of about 20" or so smashes a size 24 parachute adams...especially one you've tied yourself. Is this Heaven? No, it's flyfishing. It's getting to be the season here in NM where we'll soon have nice colors and cooler air in the San Juan and in the mountains....nevermind those AWESOME Hatch Chilies Welcome aboard.

Phil
Old 08-29-2007, 07:14 AM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

hatch Chiles? Come on Phil, rub it in, I miss buying the 40lb sack and roasting them babys, then making my green chile with nice pork, onions, potatos, and of course a bunch of hatch chiles. Mmmmmmmm..........
Old 08-29-2007, 07:42 PM

philthy is on a distinguished road

Glad I could help, Paul They're already roasting 'em here in ABQ at Wally World, grocery stores, etc. and man does it smell good! Maybe the wind will blow towards Idaho so you can get a whiff? We're waiting for another couple of weeks for them to get a little hotter and will probably buy 80 pounds or so. Can never have enough! Don't forget the cilantro and cumin in that stew