The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2007, 05:34 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough
Default Is it possible...

..for trout to survive in desert lakes in the Phoenix area through the summer? I was chasing bass at Desert Breeze this morning when I ran into a guy who said he caught a live trout there yesterday. When I questioned him he said it was true, he couldn't believe it himself. He caught it next to one of the bubblers in about 8 feet of water. I thought trout could not survive in water above 70 degrees.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:08 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it possible...

According to this link, they can, though it's a struggle.
Fishing for Trout - Reading Water 2

Exactly what is a bubbler? I'm assuming it's a fountain or oxygenation device? If it's adding oxygen and/or contributing cold water, it would help the fish survive at higher temperatures.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:17 AM

InsideSeam is on a distinguished road

I'm curious about just how high the temperatures go. At 8 ft deep, it must get up to 90+???

Here in MT people start getting worried around 70F (like you mentioned).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-02-2007, 05:54 PM

tightlines57 will become famous soon enoughtightlines57 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men View Post
Exactly what is a bubbler? I'm assuming it's a fountain or oxygenation device? If it's adding oxygen and/or contributing cold water, it would help the fish survive at higher temperatures.
That's exactly what it is. I have posted this question on a couple different forums and got a very wide range of responses. Everything from the guy is crazy to yes, it's possible. Personally, I would have to see it to believe it.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

One of the reasons trout can't normally survive in water above 70 degrees is that it can't hold nearly enough oxygen for them. It sounds like these trout are the equivalent of an emphysematic who can't survive without an oxygen tank, and that's why their near the bubblers.

Since it was pulled away from the oxygen and through hot water, the fish likely was mostly dead by the time he pulled it out of the water.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.