The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2010, 07:55 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default pfd

I was in Cabella's the other day & I picked up a Inflatable PFD suspenders. It's one of those that you can inflate by pulling on a lanyard, blowing in a tube or set up for automatic inflation. Most of the streams I fish are not deep enough to use it so I never had much use for one while wading, but I'm heading out to the Bighorn this month & was wondering if I should bring it along. I understand that you can't take them on an airplane so I was thinking of shipping it out there. Has anyone had any experiences with one of these. & is it worth the trouble of shipping out there???
I posted this on another site & I was wondering what you guys think...
Old 07-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: pfd

I have an old Sterns vest that uses the CO2 or tube technology for emergency inflation. I use it while traveling the rivers here. If you are going to be fishing big rivers either from a boat or wading having it will not be a bad thing.

I used to send all my gear via USPS or Fed X to my destinations when I lived in the North East and fished the West.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-03-2010, 09:23 PM

cketh is on a distinguished road

You'll have to check with the post office, but I think you could just stuff it in a little flat rate box and ship it for about $5

-from a sign in my Great-grandfather's general store
Old 07-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

FISHN50: I agree with Ard. The Bighorn is a big river, having an inflatable can't hurt, better safe than sorry. The Bighorn Trout Shop says the flows are still at 10,000 CFS as if July 2, but dropping rapidly. Bighorn River Fishing Report, Weather & Waterflows : Bighorn Trout Shop : Fort Smith, Montana
Good luck on your fishing trip, it should be awesome fishing this time of year!

Larry
Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

There's an old saying in sailing: If you're wondering if it's time to reduce the amount of sail because of heavy wind, you should have done it already. I'm a big fan of safety precautions, and would say that if you're thinking it would be wise, it would be wise. My wife were canoeing/fishing a very large lake between 4:30-8:30pm today, and about 1 in 15 boat passengers was wearing a PFD. This lake is very deep, with sheer drops along the shoreline, making it almost impossible to climb ashore in many areas. Stuff happens on land, and a minor incident on dry land can become a catastrophe on the water: heart attack, drop in blood sugar, slipping, pulled muscle that would prevent you from safely wading to shore, six bee stings (happened to me while riding my motorcycle!), etc. Don't worry that someone will think you're being a wimp. I view using safety gear as a sign of wisdom. Note that I wrote "using". Too many people own safety gear, but it's stowed away in a way that's it's almost hidden.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:22 AM

hankaye is on a distinguished road

Howdy;

The primary concern about shipping (carrying on to an airliner), is the co2 cartridge. Cargo areas are not (generally), pressurized. they don't like them discharging and attempting to inflate the PFD while in your luggage . Can be quite disruptive.

Happy 4th of July

hankaye[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 07-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Just had a brainstorm why not just take the suspenders and buy cO2 at the other end!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys
I called United Airlines & they said it was OK to put it in my checked baggage so that's what I'll do. The TSA site also said it was OK
Old 07-06-2010, 10:11 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
Thanks guys
I called United Airlines & they said it was OK to put it in my checked baggage so that's what I'll do. The TSA site also said it was OK
Fishn50: Thanks for the update, that is good information to know!

Larry
Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Okay, listen to me on this because I have a lot of experience on carrying CO2-chargeable PFDs on airlines (note my moniker - I have to fly for all my fly-fishing). First off, by both TSA and FAA Regulations and all airline rules I am aware of, PFDs with CO2 cartridges are allowed in both checked luggage and in carry-on luggage (up to two contained CO2 cartridges per PFD allowed, plus up to two spare CO2 cartridges). HOWEVER, in my experience more than half of TSA inspectors are not aware that their (& FAA) Regulations allow PFD CO2 cartridges to be carried on or checked. Therefore, it is ESSENTIAL that you carry with you a copy of the TSA Regulations allowing CO2 cartridges to be carried on the airplane TSA: Prohibited Items - scroll down to the sub-heading "Disabling Chemicals & Other Dangerous Items" - or otherwise without showing these TSA Regulations to the TSA inspectors they will more than likely be denied as carry-on and seized/trashed (obviously, if you'd checked them in baggage, you wouldn't be there to provide the TSA inspectors with their Regulations allowing them to be checked, so they'd also be trashed - which tells you to always carry them onboard).