The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 12:56 PM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about
Default IF you use an indicator--what kind and where?

I have read through the previous two threads about indicator fishing. When I fish I don't usually use an indicator. Sometimes I do.

If you don't use an indicator because you think it is illegal, immoral, unethical, unfair, unholy, irreverant, sinful, disprectful, or just plain wrong please just frown at this thread and don't respond.

IF you use an indicator for fishing I'm curious about three things.

1. What kind of indicator do you use?
2. What species are you fishing for?
3. What is the setting? (Moving water, still water, depth, etc)

I prefer the quick release indicator because it allows me to get the fish in the net without the indicator stopping against the tip top.

I have done a good deal of indicator fishing on Washington lakes for Trout, though this is not most of my fishing. The water is between 10 and 28 feet deep. I have done a small amount indicator fishing for Steelhead in our rivers but not for almost 10 years.

This summer I am going to try some indicator fishing for Carp.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 01-20-2012, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: IF you use an indicator--what kind and where?

Hi Mr. P,

I intend to try them with deep nymphs on a very under fished lake this year. I have worn myself out trying to fish streamers there and this year am going to try the food, beverage and static style of fishing. I figure it will probably work out and I'll be happy if I get some fish. So: still water for me.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

mrp1...this is what I thought the last thread was going to be. Thanks, maybe I'll learn something on this thread.

I never used to use them, when I started I would get massive tangles until I learn to adjust my poor casting style. I fish streams that often have a lot of snags on the bottom, so I use them to keep my fly just at the top of most of the structure. So far so good.

1. What kind of indicator do you use? Foam with the rubber stip in the middle.
2. What species are you fishing for? I have only used them for Trout so far.
3. What is the setting? (Moving water, still water, depth, etc) Streams 4 to 7 foot deep. Not all streams, just some that seem to have a habit of collecting my flies.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:47 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

mr p,
i plan on getting into "czech style" nymphing this coming spring and that style of fishing uses very different types of indicators than we use over here.
i also plan on using some float style indicators in some still waters around where i live.

casey

ARFE
Old 01-20-2012, 03:24 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

1) I use all kinds... more and more just the thing-a-ma-bobbers (however it's spelled), and in all the sizes depending on the water.
Foam indicators and, I've used very small bits of wool in NZ, guide showed us, you just look on the barb wire, take off a piece the size of a pea, and make this little figure 8 loop knot to hold it on there. I do high sticking nymphing too.. just whatever works on the water I'm on
2) Trout only (counting Steelhead as trout)
3) Streams and rivers only all over SW Montana

I prefer dryfly fishing.. but sometimes, that just doens't make sense. Fishing is supposed to be fun.. so.. whatever makes your time on the water enjoyable
kglissmeyer1 likes this.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:57 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I generally use indicators for trout (if I can't get a response to drys), bluegill, crappie.
I use Lil' Corkies (I cut a slot through them so I can move/remove easier and I paint the bottoms gray) pegged with toothpicks or, occaisionally, a little dab of the phlorescent putty.
Generally, I only use them in moving water.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 01-20-2012, 04:00 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

I use bobbers!!! I frequently fish the Toccoa River in North Georgia. It has lots of slotted rocks, sudden holes and sometimes faster current. I need weight to get my flys deep very quickly and keep them from going straight to the bottom. I like the thingmabobbers, fish pimps, twist on but my favorite are a simple indicator from Trout Magnet called trout floats. They are a little too big for normal nymphing but they float my extra heavy double rigs and they are slit down the side so they can be put on after the flys are tied on and they don't mess up my casting anymore than my heavy nymphs do. I also use the orange and white styrofoam crappie floats that sell for $1.29 at Walmart. Cut them in half and use a colored sharpie on the white piece for camo, great indicator for indicator shy fish.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:10 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

I have a small piece of orange fly line 1" long at the butt section of my leaders built in. floats and I can see it at long distance. No wind restriction is the key.Click the image to open in full size.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..

Last edited by sandfly; 01-20-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 04:53 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

mrp1...

1. What kind of indicator do you use? Thingamabobbers, small baloons (cheap, work great)....but prefer a stimulator or dry fly if conditions allow.

2. What species are you fishing for? trout, steelhead

3. What is the setting? (Moving water, still water, depth, etc) moving water that I can't reach or get a drift on without the help.

I know they are deadly on stillwater but just prefer other methods. Can't imagine sitting in my tube watching a bobber, although I know sometimes I should...

hope this helps...-Mike
Old 01-20-2012, 05:52 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

1. What kind of indicator do you use?
2. What species are you fishing for?
3. What is the setting? (Moving water, still water, depth, etc

I like the yarn style indicators. I find they land a bit more softly than the plastic ones. I just bought some paste that I want to try.

I use them for trout

Moving water at a wadeable depth usually.