The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 01:04 PM

InsideSeam is on a distinguished road
Default wader manufacturers

So, I need some new waders. For the past 15 years I've generally worn cheap Hodgeman gear. I fish quite a bit and also use them for hunting waterfowl and swamp phez.

Anyway, there are now so many companies making this stuff (Simms, Patagonia, Cabelas, Columbia, Orvis, Chota, William Joseph, and on and on...) that I can't keep up, so I was hoping some of you had tried several different brands/materials and would weigh in with your observations.

Thanks,
Matt

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-02-2007, 03:59 PM

xjguy07 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wader manufacturers

the wasders i have are a cheap house pair from bass pro shops. they are decent quality, keep the water out and are breathable. not to mention they also sell a wadeing boot for 30 bucks that in my opnion is better then the pair of simms boots one of my buddies has.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:14 PM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road

For the past 5 years I have been using Simms Classic Guide (Gore-Tex) Stockingfoots and they have held up great with no leakage problems. I somehow managed to puncture a tiny hole through the left inner leg approximately one year ago and repaired it successfully with the repair kit that was provided with the waders. The reason that I chose them was the sizing, extra large short. At the time of purchase, they fit me better than any other wader that I could find without going the custom fit route.

I have also used the Dan Bailey Lightweight Breathable Stockingfoot Waders, and I had no problems with them. My fishing buddy talked me out of them, and I have regretted it ever since. He's been using them for the past two years with no problems that I am aware of. The reason that I chose these waders was, at the time of purchase I was working at a local fly shop on the weekends, and I was able to buy them at wholesale price.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:23 PM

Silver Doc is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: wader manufacturers

Patagonias. I bought them both on line and also through Sierra on sale. I've had the first pair for over 7 years and no problem. I do fish at least 3 times a week, retired you know. I've tried pothers through the years, but these have given mee the best measure. Silver Doc
Old 08-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

My story is about the same as jdgrubb. Still using the Simms Guide waders I got in 2001. Love em- they work.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:16 PM

fishman is on a distinguished road

hi looking for waders preferablly at closeut (sale) was looking for Simms or simmilar. Plese sen a link of good shops in USA.

THANKS !!!
Old 10-14-2007, 04:06 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

I just finished returning my second pair of the Bass Pro Shops in house brand ("White River Fly Shop") stocking foot breathable waders. Both pair sprung leaks on the inside of both calfs within 2-4 months of purchase. Bass Pro Shops exchanged the first and refunded after the second. After two leakage events in exactly the same location on both I decided they have a quality & construction problem that doesn't seem to be addressed. FWIW, I now own a pair of Simms G3 Guide and love them, but the cost was 4x that of the White River Fly Shop waders. I wish Bass Pro Shops had fixed the quality problem because for the price their waders simply could not be beat.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. In 1954 I bought my first waders and I still have them. I worked at a fly shop and bought the best that was available at that time. It happened to be a pair of Hodgen waders with rubber sandwiched between two tough fabrics. I used these until 1974 when I bought a pair of neoprene waders by Streamborn. I still have and use these waders also. The last waders I bought are Simm's Guide Pants that are my go to waders today.

Good waders cost money but they will last a long time with proper care. If you fish around your home or on short trips then if they fail it is not a big deal. If you are spending a lot of money for a big trip then I think you should get the best wader you can afford.

Frank
Old 10-14-2007, 11:18 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideSeam View Post
So, I need some new waders. For the past 15 years I've generally worn cheap Hodgeman gear
Matt.. The Hodgeman gear is very cost effective. They resist puncture, they protect you when you fall, they provide bouyancy when you go in too deep.

Breathable waders are wonderful, but they are easy to puncture unless you buy the very best and if you fish in cold weather you need to look into wader pants. So, IMHO, if you move to breathable waders and do a lot of fishing or hiking through alot of really rough terrain you are looking at top of the line waders. I went with the SIMMS guide series and a pair of fleece and a pair of polartec wader pants.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:21 AM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

I have been useing the Simms Guide waders for 3 seasons now,and am quite happy with them.I also do a fair bit of duck hunting and float tubing.For these times I prefer a neoprene wader.In '99 I bought a pair of Bare 5 mill waders.I have put them through hell and they still hold up very nicely.I have put many rips in them but a little bit of pantyhose and some "Goop" and they are water tight and ready in about 2 hours.Very warm and plenty large to put a pair of sweat pants on under.