The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 06:06 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Length of Tippet

With a 7 1/2 ft leader, how far up do you tie on a new piece of tippet when you have tied a number of different flies and the leader starts getting too short?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Length of Tippet

Hi troutslayer,

The tippet on the leader is the same size until you come to the transition where it tapers up into the leader. You want to tie on the new tippet before the leader tippet gets too short that you don't have enough tippet left to tie the new tippet on. The best way to do this is with a tool that measures the leader diameter. With a gauge you can take a new leader and measure from the tippet end until you see it getting larger. This will tell you how much tippet you have on the leader. I have used my Mike-Rite gauge for years and it is as good as new. They cost about $20.

Mike-Rite Leader Gauge.
Click the image to open in full size.

Fish Pond Leader Gauge
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:51 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Frank, I'll pick one up soon.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I just use the armspan length measurement. For me thats basically 6' (thanks to gorilla arms on a stumpy guy) and go from there. For instance, if I'm within the 6-7' range, I tie on roughly 3' of leader to get me back to the 9' leader that i started with.

Not very precise, but is suits me fine.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.