The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By okuma

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma
Default So it didn't cost big bucks

A female companion informs me she has interest in learning to fly fish. "Not these long trips you take for trout or steelhead thingies of such" she says. Just bluegill and maybe a bass or two." And the fact she knows of a nice easy access pond loaded with gills perked my ears up. . Now mind you, my gear isn't exactly what I would feel comfy with a "rookie" flipping around. So I venture to WalMart. I buy an Eagle Claw Black 8'6" 5 weight, and a Martin 63A click pawl reel pre spooled with backing, 6 wt. level line and a leader. Being such a kind gentleman(hehehe) I had to try it out in the backyard. Holy Cow! Level line casts good with this combo. Of course I will educate her on casting and technique. But you know what? This wouldn't make a bad back up rig for me either. Blue gills BEWARE!
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:09 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: So it didn't cost big bucks

Hate to admit it, but I own 3 of those Eagle Claw rods. Every one of them has some kind of small flaw in the fit & finish (poor cork and cheap guides), but they all cast great!

When I take the kayak out I usually take one of those inexpensive rods along just in case I go swimming and forget to save the rod.

Actually the fiberglass blanks themselves seem to be very versatile and forgiving when casting or fighting a fish.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Thank you Okuma, for you’re enthusiasm in mentoring a novice fly fisher.
All of us who will someday share these waters with those novices who’ve received guidance from an experienced mentor, owe anglers like you our thanks.

Best of luck to you both, TT
Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Thank you Okuma, for you’re enthusiasm in mentoring a novice fly fisher.
All of us who will someday share these waters with those novices who’ve received guidance from an experienced mentor, owe anglers like you our thanks.
I agree! Well done!

I have a couple of old fiberglass rods that I enjoy using. I also know of a group of folks who favor fiberglass fly rods for much of their angling.

You & your friend should have a lot of fun with this!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Mike,

When you think about it a level line sounds good for beginners. All body; plenty of weight to load the rod, and turnover sort of comes natural as a correct cast unfurles......... Sometimes we find something that has slid into the obsolete catagory that proves quite useful eh?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-22-2012, 04:16 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Great job creating a fishing partner! Last your I was in Dick's Sporting Goods and saw a two piece 8'6" 5WT rod in their "Field & Stream" brand. It was $24 so I bought it. Why? Because it was $24!!! It actually turned out to be a nice casting rod, not the best components but a pretty nice blank.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:00 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Tell ya what, i have one of the yellow Eagle Claw "featherlite" 5 wt rods and its a very nive rod to cast and fish with. i keep it in my truck just in case.

Storm Drain Bonefisher