The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 09:24 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default 10wt backing, gel-spun or not?

Looking for opinions on the pro's and con's of setting up my 10wt with 55lb. gel-spun backing or going for a more standard 30lb. braided backing. ( to be honest, I've never been to the backing yet on any fish...)

My goal is to have a versatile 10wt that can be used for pike and musky locally, but could also be taken out to the Florida Keys for some flats fishing (smaller tarpon, bonefish, etc.) So I am setting things up to be compatible with salt water.

The reel: Orvis Battenkill V
The rod: Albright 10/11 wt 2pc.
Fly line: Rio Mainstream WF11wtF, I also have a cheapy line that I may cut the floating head off to add a 30' Rio sinking/shooting head.

After reading about Tarpon rigs, I like the sound of the gel-spun backing, heavy fly line, and 50lb. mono/fluoro leader that can stepped down to something smaller up front. Beefy, simple, few knots. sounds good so far.

Can anyone talk me out of this setup or advise something better?
not trying to win any tippet class awards, just trying to learn some new species and have some fun. Versatility will be important with this setup (it is still virgin...)
Thanks guys!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:06 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10wt backing, gel-spun or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Looking for opinions on the pro's and con's of setting up my 10wt with 55lb. gel-spun backing or going for a more standard 30lb. braided backing. ( to be honest, I've never been to the backing yet on any fish...)
When it comes to saltwater reels, two things are important:
How good is the drag unit?
How much backing does the reel have?

Just about most saltwater species are meals for something larger. These fish are have the strength for quick accelerations that can put stresses on reels. Some fish have been known to burn up drag units.

Super braided lines add capacity to reels. When backing comes off the reel, the diameter from arbor to the outer most diameter of the backing does not change drastically as standard backing would. This means faster line retrieve.

Quote:
My goal is to have a versatile 10wt that can be used for pike and musky locally, but could also be taken out to the Florida Keys for some flats fishing (smaller tarpon, bonefish, etc.) So I am setting things up to be compatible with salt water.

The reel: Orvis Battenkill V
The rod: Albright 10/11 wt 2pc.
Fly line: Rio Mainstream WF11wtF, I also have a cheapy line that I may cut the floating head off to add a 30' Rio sinking/shooting head.
For pike and musky, the rod and reel should be fine.

For bonefish, the rig is overkill. An 8 weight is more than enough. A 9 weight would be used for really heavy winds.

A 10 weight should be fine for baby and some smaller teenage tarpon. Just prepare to hold on if a large adult takes off with your fly.

Quote:
After reading about Tarpon rigs, I like the sound of the gel-spun backing, heavy fly line, and 50lb. mono/fluoro leader that can stepped down to something smaller up front. Beefy, simple, few knots. sounds good so far.
I will defer to WJC on the matter of leader setups.

Quote:
Can anyone talk me out of this setup or advise something better? Not trying to win any tippet class awards, just trying to learn some new species and have some fun. Versatility will be important with this setup (it is still virgin...)
Thanks guys!
You are better off with two rigs. I would choose a 9 and an 11 weight. Those give you the versatility to fish the Keys effectively and have two rods to fish for pike and musky. Also if you break a rod, you will have a backup.

Axe the idea for a two piece rod. Get yourself a four piece. Traveling with a two piece rod is a pain. You will have to pay separate airline luggage charges for the rod. A four piece rod can be carried on or stowed in luggage easily.

Dennis
Old 01-22-2012, 10:13 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Now expanding my search for a 4pc. 11wt!
Thanks Dennis, my palms are sweating just thinking about fighting big fish in warmer weather.

Any opinions on the Orvis Battenkill V?
It was a great bargain on a large arbor for 9-11wt setups. I am hoping that huge brand name=decent drag... Definitely operating on a budget.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:15 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Sounds like you already have it figured out, and your setup should work well for your intentions. The primary difference between the two backing materials is diameter & price. The gel spun should give you more yards, but at a higher cost. You just have to decide if it's worth the additional cost to you.

I'm not a gel spun user myself, no need for it for the fishing I do, as I've never been into the backing either. I bought a 1200 yd spool of 30 lb braided dacron for backing. I'm not sure I could afford the gel spun!

I primary fish for Striped Bass, Bluefish & tidal LM bass, and none of them usually make long runs. Besides, I have an 11/12 size reel on my 10 wt. It balances well with my rod & has a bit more capacity anyway.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I too see no need for gel spun. i have been into the backing a few times but not deep into the backing. If your real is sized properly you will be fine with dacron. All of my saltwater reels hold between 150 and 200 yds of 30# dacron and its is more than enough for any inshore species in my area. I know a few guys that do the off shore thing and most use gel spun, but backing is a very minor expense in the off shore game. Most of my fishing is done out of a boat and i can chase them down if i need too.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM

ditz will become famous soon enoughditz will become famous soon enough

I am far from an expert so take with a grain of salt. I am not familiar with your reel choice but you might consider a 'Sea Level Tempest'. They have a cork drag, a good capacity, and the price is fair. It will be my next reel purchase for the salt. I have been using Pfleuger Medalist 1500 series reels for my limited salt use and I have 200+ yards of 30# with a 9wt line. I have not yet been in the backing yet either. I have so far been disappointed with the fight of the trout that I have caught. I hope to get into some reds soon and expect more rod bend. I have brought a 5 and 7wt with me to NSB but so far it has been too windy to use either. So my 8wt has been the weapon of choice. 30# dacron was my choice and no regrets yet.

Have fun
Old 01-22-2012, 10:55 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Now expanding my search for a 4pc. 11wt!
Thanks Dennis, my palms are sweating just thinking about fighting big fish in warmer weather.
The lightest rod that I use for adult tarpon is an 10 weight. There have been times that I felt undergunned.

Quote:
Any opinions on the Orvis Battenkill V?
It was a great bargain on a large arbor for 9-11wt setups. I am hoping that huge brand name=decent drag... Definitely operating on a budget.
Don't really have an opinion on the BK LA V.

Dennis
Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 AM

Thanks for all of the rapid responses!

I guess that I am not the only angler sitting out a cold overcast morning in front of my computer dreaming of bigger and harder fighting fish while trying to fight the huge burning hole in my pocket!
Whether it be fly gear, skis, backpacks, tools. I have always wanted a full collection.
That said, just found a Ross Essence 9ft 11wt 4pc. for $160 on fleaBay... a deal that could not be refused. I guess the 3wt search will be on hold for a bit.

Might keep the 2pc Albright for a spare around CO. or for bringing friends out.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:31 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I have the V and the VI. If your going with an 11wt rod go with the VI. 11-12WT lines get pretty bulky and you'll want the extra spool space. BTW if you can deal with a black colored reel Orvis has the VI marked down cheaper than the V on their website . The VI also has enough room to use on my 9wt switch and 9wt Spey rod. So far the drag has held up well but it hasn't landed anything larger than a 35lb Bass.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

From what i hear the battenkill is a fine reel. I read a book from Howell raines and he claims to have hooked an caught a 250 pound marlin on 20 pound test with the battenkill