The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 10:44 AM

twitchnstrip is on a distinguished road
Default when do you choose to use Strike Indicator?

Howdy again!
I'm posting my final question prior to writing blog article re: strike indicators.
For those who do choose to use indicators: for those times when it is general knowledge an indicator could be used, are there situations where you definitely or usually use them and situations where you definitely or usually don't? Whether it is current-related, species-related, etc., I'd love to get some feed-back on this one! Thanks, Twitch.

Last edited by mcnerney; 01-24-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: Advertising his blog in the thread!
Old 01-22-2012, 11:16 AM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: when do you choose to use Strike Indicator?

I use them in still water. When I am indicator fishing I am I am virtually always using a Chironomid or a Blood Worm. Typically I won't fish them in water that is shallower than about 10 feet. I have fished them in 28 feet of water with the fly a foot off the bottom. Most of the time I don't fish with indicators but I do enjoy it sometimes.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 01-22-2012, 12:07 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Q: "are there situations where you definitely or usually use them and situations where you definitely or usually don't? "

A: Steelhead fishing:" When nobodies around to see me using one ".

A: Trout fishing: If we include dry flies as indicators, as in a hopper & dropper set up. I use them, all too frequently.

TT
Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

In any situation where i would use a bobber when spin fishing.

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Actually I have changed my opinion on strike indicators. I used to use them a lot. Basically in any situation where I used to use a bobber when spin fishing. After getting some very useful information on this site concerning the use of lead core leaders, I have begun experimenting with substituting pieces of lead core for split shot and using the end of my fly line as an "indicator".
This forum has been a source of several interesting new ideas for me and it has reawakened my interest in fly fishing. I hope some of the things I have written have done the same for others.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:42 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i refuse to engage flyflingers attack on this forum, so i'll give a real answer to the original question-

i like to use indies in slow deep pools and i plan on fishing them in still waters.

btw ff, in your edits on the felt sole thread, you refer to some members of our forums as "jackoffs".
this is totally uncalled for and totally not what this forum is about and it personally offends me.

casey

ARFE

Last edited by caseywise; 01-23-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i refuse to engage flyflingers attack on this forum, so i'll give a real answer to the original question-

i like to use indies in slow deep pools and i plan on fishing them in still waters.

btw ff, in your edits on the felt sole thread, you refer to some members of our forums as "jackoffs".
this is totally uncalled for and totally not what this forum is about and it personally offends me.

casey
He is definately not what this forum is about. I have asked him to try and behave, so let's give flyflinger a chance to clean up his act. (and his posts) If he can't manage to do it, then .............
Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I'll use an indicator in slow water. I don't like how it seems to limit castability/distance plus I like to fish multiple nymphs inline and an indicator increases the chances of fouling/tangling. Murphy's law comes into play here and it always seems to happen when I've just missed a strike and going back, in a hurry to recast and.... but an indicator certainly helps. I use either a foam strip wrapped around the very tip of my fly line, just above the nail knot or a thingamabober...the smaller the better. the main point being I'm using it more to see the strike than set the depth.

When in a drift boat in Wyoming last summer, we never went without one. the indicator regulated the depth and the guide positioned the boat according to where and how our indicators were floating along.

I certainly don't have any aversion to using them eg. afraid to look like a sub species of fly fisherman. I'm all about what ever it takes and in the winter, the strikes are so subtle that anything that helps my aging eyes is considered a blessing.

hope this helps some, good luck with the blog.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:20 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I agree and I still use an indicator, the smaller the better.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:14 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

I pretty much use one when I feel like it
Old 01-25-2012, 07:05 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I like using an indicator i have fished without them and i can catch fish but its the little bumps and soft takes that i miss without the indicator and i almost always fish a dropper when i have a fly on..