The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 02:07 PM

theboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant futuretheboz has a brilliant future
Smile Crazy Catchs and Crazier C and R s

Many years of fly fishing have brought with it some real oddball catches along with some crazy releases. Some of them include otters, beaver, snapping turtles and other assorted terrapins, alligators , snakes ( including a timber rattler , scary release) terns, gulls, humans and bats just to name a few.
One very memorable one was on the Battenklll River in Vermont. At the height of my backcast I get a hit that starts zig zagging with my fly behind me.After the shock of realizing I had a bat on I started stripping in. And his reaction was I'm gonna fly right at this guy every time he trys to strip . Luck would have it the leader parted. A good thing cause I had no idea how I was releasing this critter.
Another favorite took place in Curaçao . Casting streamers along side a jetty by by the hotels beach I was catching big needlefish jacks and assorted tropicals. One cast just beyond the end of the jetty I'm in to a big one . Short strong powerful runs , wow! And then it happens : My big one comes up wetsuit mask and tanks and starts yelling at me! Oops! He's hooked in the weight belt and mad as hell! The only response I could muster up was "Sorry but where is your marker and divers flag. He gave me my fly back and swam away.
I've got more but I'd like to hear some of your crazy catches and crazier catch and releases.
bruce m and wannafish like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Crazy Catchs and Crazier C and R s

I caught a couple brown bats until I realized that if they were swarming you may as well stop fishing. One flew away unharmed but one was foul hooked through the wing and the wing broken. I dispatched the unfortunate creature and never hooked another. The experience pretty well bummed me out, I have a cursory education in ornithology and a good understanding of the part bats play in the web of life. I felt like a goon and after that when the brown tree bats appeared it was my signal to give up my spot.

That was the only 2 times I caught things I wasn't trying to. I've had some interesting encounters with snakes (lower 48) bears, moose, eagles,and seals but none that involved them being hooked.

Good topic Boz,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-22-2012, 03:40 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Everything from beavers to turtles and seagulls but the strangest fish catch has to be the Cownose Ray. They travel in huge schools and litterally blanket the ocean bottom. Everyone hooks up at once when they swim in and reels all start screaming at the same time.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by swirlchaser; 01-22-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:46 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i purposfully target gators. Theyre a great fight.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:19 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

5'9 Blond in the head with a #20 BWO. I kept her.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:28 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Like you, Boz-- and many others on the board-- I've hooked a bat. Just like you, I stripped him in for a bit until the thought dawned on me-- 'what in the hell do I do once he is within reach?????' I just cut my line-- yes, the fly line-- didn't even want the thing within the 10 or so feet that my leader is/was.....
Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Click the image to open in full size.
I thought it was best to just hold really still. He came in about chest deep a couple rod lengths away. I was fishing at Sylvan Dale Ranch with a private group and luckily one of the host guides had his camera ready from across the lake. A 20" bow came about 15 minutes later. Funny thing is that there were elk hunters paying to hunt in the same meadow; seems the elk know who to hang out around to stay safe!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I've caught beavers, muskrats, snapping turtles, bullfrogs, boots, brand new fishing poles, and clam shells. I also hooked a goose on my backcast before as well. Hooked myself a few times as well. The latter would be my strangest catch.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:28 PM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

8 foot alligator that my friend hooked into. he didn't like the hook in his jaw too much so he tore off and took the reel with him almost pulled my buddy into the water with him.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:31 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

the weirdest ever for me was when i pulled in a tiny bloated beaver(or muskrat or whatever) fetus out of a creek
needless to say, it was a "cut the tippet kick back into water" kind of situation.
to this day, my father in law who was with me and saw it as well, refuses to talk or even think about it

casey

ARFE