The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 06:40 PM
bjh1983

Default Help for a beginer

Hi folks,

I have recently decided that i want to give fly fishing a crack, i have a rod and reel etc but now i've hit a wall of confusion.

Can somebody please explain what a dt line is and a wf line is and what the difference it'll make to my intermediate line? I already have a floating line, figured it'd make sense to have both.

I have been looking round and cant make any sense of it, there are so many different flies to choose from, i plan on starting off on a medium sized still water in cheshire. I dont know if that will help anybody make any suggestions.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

Ben
Old 01-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Help for a beginer

Hi Ben,

I hope you'll consider joining the forum as a regular member soon. Rather than trying to write this out I suggest you search through the threads here > Fly Lines - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

It may take a little looking but you'll find about every question about fly lines we ever had ask and answered in this sub forum.

Ard

Using this page to begin searching any topic may help to narrow down some choices also, The North American Fly Fishing Forum. Fly fishing news and views across the USA and Canada

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-22-2012, 09:52 PM

nmmay33 is on a distinguished road

Like Hardyreels said, this forum has been invaluable for me as a new fly fisher. I also went to a locally recommended shop and talked with the guys about what I needed and why. One of them was even nice enough to take me out fishing, since he was going anyway, and show me the ropes.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi nmmay33 and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have been looking for a while, glad to see you hop in and start posting.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:54 AM

fishingguru is on a distinguished road

I'd go with the WF line, it's heavier on the end so its easier to cast.